Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    king2001 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Professor H1B ,tax treaty,how to fill 1040
    Hi

I came to US from UK in Jan 2006 as a visiting professor doing research and teaching in a University.I will be going back in May this year.I am a resident alien for tax purposes and on H1B visa.I will be grateful if you can answer the following questions..

1 ) Will the fact I am on H1B affect tax treaty benefit ?

2) If I can claim treaty benefits,how do I go about filling 1040 , as tax has already been withheld for 2006? Should I attach a statement to 1040 saying I am claiming tax treaty benefit?

Thanks for your reply
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 25, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by king2001
    Hi

I came to US from UK in Jan 2006 as a visiting professor doing research and teaching in a University.I will be going back in May this year.I am a resident alien for tax purposes and on H1B visa.I will be grateful if you can answer the following questions..

1 ) Will the fact I am on H1B affect tax treaty benefit ?

2) If I can claim treaty benefits,how do I go about filling 1040 , as tax has already been withheld for 2006? Should I attach a statement to 1040 saying I am claiming tax treaty benefit?

Thanks for your reply

You should have filed the appropriate form with your employer so that tax was not withheld. Since it has been withheld you will need to file a 1040, report all your income, subtract back out your tax exempt (via treaty) salary on line 21. You need to attach a statement claiming the treaty benefits.

You are not precluded from the treaty by virtue of your residency status. You must file a 1040.

Note that if you stay longer than the two years then you will have to retroactively pay tax.

All the best with it, enjoy your stay in the US and my regards to the Queen when you return :)
    king2001 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Dear Taxsearcher

Thanks again for your help.I will make sure you get an invitation to the palace soon.;)

Regards

king2001
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 11:35 AM
    I yield to TaxSearcher's greater expertise in this field, and have no comment!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visiting professor ,h1b ,tax treaty benefit [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I came to US from UK in Jan 2006 as a visiting professor doing research and teaching in a University.I will be going back in May this year.I am a resident alien for tax purposes.I will be grateful if you can answer the following questions.. 1 ) Am I eligible for tax exemption under the...

US/Italy Tax Treaty -- H1B Exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I recently changed my status from F1 to H1B in January 2007. I have a post-doc position for the academic year 2006-07, started on September 2006 and renewable for two years. I haven't received tax refunds as an F1. My instiutution (Penn) now claims that I am not eligible for tax exemption...

Indian tax treaty clause for H1B status ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I have summarized my case below - Jan 2005 (31 days) - F1/OPT Feb 2005 through Dec 2005 - H1B I filed taxes using the 1040EZ form, where I could "not" avail of the Indian tax treaty clause. The calculation for my taxable income was:

F1 to file 1040 with treaty benefits [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Experts, I came to US as a F1 student in 2000,then I did my OPT between August and December 2005. I started my H1b in Jan 1, 2006. According to my understanding I need to file the tax return as a resident alien for 2005. According to the treaties between US and China, I am still...

H1B Should fill 1040 or 1040NR [ 1 Answers ]

Folks, I know many people have asked this question a number of times. I am on H1B for the whole of 2005 and have been working in the US. I wanted to fill in my tax papers myself online. But Turbotax etc don't have the 1040NR form. All they offer is 1040 or 1040EZ. Can I fill in the 1040NR even...

View more questions Search