Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pkenia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 08:00 PM
    First year choice, married filing jointly
    Hi,

I was on F1 from Jan 2006 - March 2006, then OPT from March 2006 - Sep 2006. Started working on OPT in Apr 2006 and got my H1 from Oct 2006.

I got married in Dec 2006, but my wife joined me in USA on Jan 2007 from India. She had her H1 stamped in India in Nov 2006, and her I94 is dated in Jan 2007.

Reading different QA on this forum, I figured that I can opt for first year choice to file as a Resident Alien. Am I right? If yes, can I file as married filing jointly even though my wife was not present in USA in 2006?

If I can't file married jointly, then the choice is Married filing separately, in this case should I opt for First year choice or Dual Status?

Thanks in advance, would really appreciate your help.
    Parin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 26, 2007, 11:21 PM
    Parin:

You are correct; you CAN file jointly; your wife's physical location in 2006 is irrelevant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explanation of the dual status and first year choice [ 17 Answers ]

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there about the situation regarding residency, non-residency, dual status and first year choice. I would like to address this situation. Below I have outlined the facts AND the sources of support. 1. Residency status There are two tests: the green...

First year choice or not [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My status in 2006 is this: F1 to June, then OPT to 11/26/2006, then H1B My wife held B1/B2 Visa in 2006, she stayed here from 8/1/2006 to 12/31/2006, this January, she changed the Visa to H4 In 2006, my tuition was about 16000 If I file as non-resident, I can not claim my tuition...

Final year - Dual status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi 2005 was the final year in USA for me. I meet the criteria for substantial presence and per pub 519 I am dual status alien. I am from Syria, and there is no treaty with USA. I am filing form 1040 as a resident, I am also required to do a from 1040NR for the period I was not a resident in USA....

What is First Year Choice [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your assistance. Since my wife's employer didn't withheld her Social Security and Medicare tax because they think she should be exempted from those two taxes, how can she file on her tax form about this? Does she need to pay the penalty? BTW, what's...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

View more questions Search