Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    centsster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 08:43 AM
    F-1 visa (resident) outside fellowship but got 1099-MISC
    Please help,

I'm a "resident" for tax purposes on a F-1 visa, cause I came to US in 2000. I got a "Fellowship" from another university (not the one that issued my F-1), and they sent me a 1099-MISC form! I do not have work permit, and when I talked with the International Student Office then, it's all right for me to receive fellowships. But why 1099-MISC? If I report tax like this, wouldn't it mean that I illegally worked?? I did no work for that school, I just received a non-service research fellowship. What to do?? Please advise... [If it has any relevance, I'm a S. Korean citizen, the vocher on the fellowship I got says "Fellowship"... ]

Thanks, it's just so painful dealing with Int'l student office (people in my schools treat me like an annoyance, criminal investigation target), and the school that gave fellowship people are just so slow on everything... never even have issued a check for an international student, and I have no one else to ask)...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2007, 10:34 AM
    You will NOT have worked illegally, since fellowship money is NOT considered compensation for work.

They should have issued Form 1042-S, but it is not a huge problem. Just claim the income, either on Schedule C (if Box #7 of the Form 1099-MISC has the dollar figure in it) or on Line #21 (if Box #3 or #8 has the dollar figure in it.

If you want, you can attach a statement with the Form 1099-MISC to the tax return explaining the reason for the Form 1099-MISC. It is likely the IRS will just process the return with no notice as to why it is on the tax return.

Mar 23, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Thank you so much for your advice. I have asked them and they said they issued a 1099-MISC instead of 1042-S because I'm a "resident for tax purposes." But from what you say, it seems like I should still be getting 1042-S for fellowship money. In any case, since it won't matter, I'll just use this form. I'm so glad that you are out there (here:) to give advice. It's not really easy to ask around, being still so un-acculturated and having no relatives/close ones in the US!! Thanks!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2007, 12:47 PM
    I forgot about the five-year rule. Is the income on the Form 1099-MISC in Block #3 or Block #7?

Mar 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply...

It's $9,000 on 1099-MISC block #3; there's nothing in any other boxes. So according to your above guide, I should write it in Line #21. On 1042 form, right?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Yes, that is correct. Report it on Line #21; attach a statement explaining the income to the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

Fellowship & resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, How do I include fellowship ( taxable) amounts on 1040? ( probably I will have ti use some free tax software or if I can find cheap tax prep might do so) Thanks

1099-MISC income while on H-1B Visa [ 5 Answers ]

Is it legal to have a 1099-MISC income while being on H-1 Visa? The income is derived from a web based business to while the individual is affiliated but not an employee of. The profit earned by him is reported on a yearly basis as a 1099-MISC that is sent to him by the company. Is this legal? Will...

Non resident alien student with both W2 and 1099-MISC reported income [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a nonresident alien student (under an F-1 visa) and I had a campus job for which I got a wage reported in Box 2 of a W2 form. During the summer, I got a job for which I got a 1099-MISC form (reporting my income in Box 7). As far as I know, I should file a 1040NR form adding a Schedule C-EZ and...

1099 misc-from a non-resident state for summer job [ 1 Answers ]

I am a freelance designer so my job takes me everywhere. Last summer I worked in MA. I am a resident of CT. Do I need to file a tax return for MA as well? I have reported it on my federal return using turbo tax and it did not warn me that I need to fill MA as well. If I need to file MA, do I file...

View more questions Search