Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rick114 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Assuming my moms mortgage and getting the interest deduction.
    My mother who is 80 has a home with a terrible mortgage. I want to pay down the loan from 295K to 60K or make a 235K payment. I want to refinance the terms on the remainder (60K) and place my name with hers on the loan. Basically assume the loan and make the payments, with both parties responsible but pay down and refinance the loan. I am sure they will be happy to refinance with the 235K payment, but how do I take over the loan and add my name. Do I just ask? I am currently making her payments (2,600 monthly without the interest deduction).
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Before I go off in the wrong direction let me ask your mom's interest rate and type of loan?
    Rick114 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 12:02 PM
    6.65% 30 year fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage interest deduction on foreign held mortgages for second homes [ 10 Answers ]

I am a little confused regarding second home mortgage interest on foreign held mortgages. Is the mortgage interest paid on a foreign held mortgage considered a second home with no rental income deductible on US taxes?

Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone claim your mortgage interest on their tax?

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Sold Home [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our home in 2005 moved bought a new home. Can I deduct the mortgage interest on the sold up until the date we sold? Thanks

Home interest deduction taxes [ 1 Answers ]

If I paid interest on a 5th wheel, can this be included in home mortgage interest paid?

Home interest deduction in OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about the home loan deduction. I was in F-1 and OPT in 2005 the entire year. And I am supposed to file 1040NR. I bought a house in Oct. 2005, and received form 1098 for loan interest and points paid. Are they tax deductable? In the schedule A of 1040NR where I do my itemized...

View more questions Search