Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    praskme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 04:38 AM
    Filing Tax First Time for myself (H1B) and my Wife(H4)
    Hi,

I was in Seattle, WA from Mar 2006 to Nov 2006 on H1B. My Wife was with me from Apr 2006 to Nov 2006 on H4. I had mentioned M2 as the FWT. I am back to my native country from Nov 2006. I have the following queries regarding filing the tax. Kindly clarify my queries.

1. Am I a resident alien or Non resident alien (I am confused with 183 days logic, as I was in US for more than 183 days last year)?

2. Based on the above answer please let me know which forms do I need to fill?

3. Is W7 the only form which I will fill for my wife?

4. In the W7 form, which option shall I select from these two:
    a. Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien
    b. Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a U.S. visa

5. What are the documents that need to be submitted for W7?

6. Do I need to file the tax as "married filing jointly" or "married filing separately"?

7. My company has given the W2 form. Is it the only form which will be given by company?

Looking forward for immediate response.
    Thanks In Advance
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 2, 2007, 07:40 AM
    It looks like you would be a dual status alien. This is a little more complex than the basic situation. Alternatively you might be able to file an election to file jointly as residents for the full year (but you would need to include your worldwide income and then claim a foreign tax credit for any foreign taxes paid).

It's not a straightforward case.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 12:38 PM
    TaxSearcher:

Does he not have to be in the U.S. at the end of the year to use the "file jointly as resident for the full year" options?

Mar 2, 2007, 03:13 PM
    They need to be resident at year end. Technically, once you meet the SPT, you are considered resident until Dec 31. I'd have to double check it, but I think you have to actually file an election to be considered "not resident" for that last month anyway, and hence they should be able to get around this by simply not filing the election.
    praskme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Thanks for your quick response taxsearcher and ATE.
    Earlier my understanding was either I will be NRA or RA, but now with this Dual Status I am really confused about the forms to be filled. So what forms should I file now?
    Do I need to claim for Closer Connection Exception?

Mar 3, 2007, 01:12 PM
    The problem is that you are resident for part of the year and non-resident for the other part and hence you really should file as a dual status alien (part year as each). You can see Publication 519 to see how to do the forms; unfortunately it is not easy.

I think you might be able to make a case for electing to file as a resident for the full year but it is a little more gray (as to whether you should) and it will introduce other issues for you such as needed to include your foreign income for US tax (and then claim a foreign tax credit).

Either way, your taxes are not going to be a straightforward situation because of your situation. I hope you didn't live in a state with a state tax to add to your frustrations.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 10:53 AM
    TaxSearcher:

I hope your 2 Mar post is accurate, as I have a client in a similar situation. I emailed you separately on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B Tax filing-SS tax refund? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. Arrived in US in Aug 2003, on OPT from Jan 2006 and on H1B from October 1st 2006. I started working in Feb 2006 in California. Throughout the year in 2006 Social security , medicare and disability taxes were deducted from my paycheck. Will I get a refund for these...

Tax filing for the case of wife on F1 , but previously on H4 [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I have some specific questions concerning my case , I am currently on a H1B visa and my wife is a student on a F1 visa For the previous year 2005 my wife 's visa status was H4. I understand if I claim tax benefits for my expenses relating to her education ( tuition fees etc) for the year...

Filing tax Married but wife not in US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married last year now, 1. Can I select filing status married although my wife is not here with me in US 2. To get ITIN for my wife can I leave the visa information balnk on W-7 form Thanks

H1B with H4 filing taxes for first time. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I arrived in US on aug.21st 2006 in H1. I am working here for US client and my American company pays me in dollars. My wife joined me in H4 on 3rd Nov,2006. 1. Am I a resident alien or non-resident alien? 2. Which form should I use? 3. Should I wait for SPT till July 2007? 4. Can I file...

H1B Visa; Wife on H4; Filing Status [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have been on H1B visa since July 2003. I am currently residing in New Jersey for the past 2 years. I got married in May and my wife accompanied me to US on 05/22/2006. She is on a H4 Visa and has been living with me since then. She does not have a SSN/ITIN/TIN. To file my taxes: ...

View more questions Search