Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbromiley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Helping to file taxes for OPT visa
    I am assisting my girlfriend with filing her first tax return, and she is currently in this country on a OPT (f1) visa. Her income is greater than the $3300 deduction limit, however we have both heard that OPT visa-holders are exempt from Soc. Sec. taxes and Medicare taxes. Are both of these true?

Also, in regards to her tax return, I am using TurboTax and have just entered her W-2 info. Is there any special I should know to enter or claim? Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 10:46 AM
    First and foremost, you cannot use TurboTax to file your girl friend's tax return.

She has to file a Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, a form neither TurboTax nor any of the other popular software packages will support.

It IS true that, under OPT, she is exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes. However, they are often withheld anyway, which means she has to file Form 843 plus some support documents to claim a refund. If they withheld these taxes, she should ask the employer to refund them to her. That's the first step.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-opt-h1b status how to file taxes [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my case: I am indian. I was in California during ms (f1) till march 2006.after that I was on opt and was working in Arizona since June1st. From oct 1st 2006 I was on h1b. 1.now what forms do I have to fill for federal and state taxes? 2. do I have to fill separate forms for...

F-1/OPT/H-1 Status - Married. How to file taxes? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. I was on F-1 status from Jan 2006 - May 2006. From May 2006 to Dec 2006 was on OPT. Got H1 starting on dec 1. I am married and my wife was my dependent till Oct 2006, when she got her H1 approval. Earning status Myself -------- F-1 ~ $5200 OPT + H1 ~ $17000 Spouse

Need help to file my taxes on OPT to H1 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I came to US on jan 2004 as F1.dec 2005 to dec 2006 OPT . Dec1st 2006 H1 1. CPT started: Aug 2005 to Nov 2005 Worked on CPT in internship from Aug 2005 to Jan 2006 Here my OPT started on Dec 10th 2005 (I continued this job in my OPT for 2 months dec05 & Jan 06)

How to file taxes report for F1-OPT-H1B status [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Atlanta Tax Expert, I read most of your post responses and still have questions since my dumbness, but I will make them simple and short. I entered USA (Atlanta, GA) on 07/12/2001 as a F-1 student from PR China. My OPT started on 08/03/2004 and switched to H1-B on 08/01/2005. I joined...

How to File Income Taxes When Converting from F-1 to H-1 Visa Status (AtlantaTaxExp) [ 63 Answers ]

To All Who Have Read My Postings On This Issue: After further consultation with NATP, I am making some additional editing changes, which will be in bold red. I have also been referred to a website maintained by a CPA with extensive credentials and experience doing returns for resident and...

View more questions Search