Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rad7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 08:10 PM
    Tax forms to file after 5 years on F1 and no income
    I got a F1 visa in 2006. I have maintained a valid F1 status through out. I also do not have any source of income all this time and have my own funding from my home country. I will be starting my OPT period from June 1, 2012.

I just realized that I made an error last year when I did not file my taxes as a resident alien and just submitted the form 8843.

In this situation, do I have to file only form 8843 now? Or do I have to file other forms?

Also, if I do file only form 8843,what would be the best way to answer this question for those F1 students who stayed in US for more than 5 years:

"you must provide sufficient facts on an attached statement to
    Establish that you do not intend to reside permanently in the United States".

Thank you!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 10:35 PM
    No, you do not file any form for 2011.

Apr 7, 2012, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    No, you do not file any form for 2011.
    Thank you very much for your quick reply. I was under the impression that all F1 students should file form 8843 even if they have no income and so I was confused since I became a resident alien now.

So, if I start my OPT in June 2012, what forms should I file next year for the year 2012? Do I have to file any form next year even I work as a volunteer in my college without any fixed income?
    immTaxQuestion Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 12:32 PM
    Hey there,

I am in the same situation as you (more than 5 yrs on F1 and no income in 2011) and trying to find out the answer to this question:

Quote Originally Posted by rad7 View Post
    Also, if I do file only form 8843,what would be the best way to answer this question for those F1 students who stayed in US for more than 5 years:

"you must provide sufficient facts on an attached statement to
    Establish that you do not intend to reside permanently in the United States".
    Could you let me know if you find the answer? I will give you my e-mail address when you reply.

Thanks

Apr 9, 2012, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by immTaxQuestion View Post
    Hey there,

I am in the same situation as you (more than 5 yrs on F1 and no income in 2011) and trying to find out the answer to this question:

Could you let me know if you find the answer? I will give you my e-mail address when you reply.

Thanks
    Well, as you can see from the first reply here, it seems we need not file any form for 2011. But I still have some unanswered questions and I am trying to find answers to them.

Leave your email ID. I will contact you if I find more information about it.
    immTaxQuestion Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 02:59 PM
    Thanks. I am also trying to find out a few more things. Like, it may be a good idea to still file Form 1040 indicating that I did not have any income. It can be helpful in future if we apply for say, a green card, they will ask for income tax filing documents of the previous few years.What do you think about that?

Email me at [email protected].
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 10, 2012, 06:15 AM
    Form 8843 is filed to claim the days that are exempt from residency. You can not claim exempt days.

Apr 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Form 8843 is filed to claim the days that are exempt from residency. You can not claim exempt days.
    Thank you very much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forms to file and income to declare (J1 and J2) [ 1 Answers ]

My wife (J2 visa) and I (J1 scholar visa) were resident in the US during the years 2008 (from mid Oct), 2009 and 2010. We returned to our native UK on Aug 1 2010. I believe this makes us Resident Aliens. My W2 does not have an entry in box 1, which I think is because I was exempt (I have a tax...

Do I have to file inheritance income on my income tax forms [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I recently received about $20,000 dollars from a trust fund that my grandparents set up when we were kids. It was set up as a college trust fund with whatever remained in the trust fund (after college) being distributed evenly when one of the parents passed away. The trust fund...

I do not have any tax forms for my income [ 1 Answers ]

I made about $5000 mowing lawns in 2008. I do not have any tax forms and have no way of obtaining them. How do I account for this on my tax return?

What Tax forms to file F1-OPT [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Iam indian and Single.I am on my F1 until August 2008 in Alabama. My OPT started on October 2008, I started working in tennesse,I got relocation paid. Can someone please help me with these questions? 1. I think I should file 1040NR-EZ and 8843, is that correct? 2. If that is correct,...

What tax forms do I need to file [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I entered the US for the first time in November 22, 2006 on a H2B visa from South Africa. I left on July 6th 2007 to return to South Africa, and returned to the US on August 28th 2007 on a J1 student visa. What tax forms do I need to file for 2006, and 2007? Thanks in advance

View more questions Search