Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mndiep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Can I file my nephew as my dependent if?
    I live with my nephew (15yrs old) the past 3 years and support him. His mother does not work and his dad is on disability income. Can I claim him as my dependent if his dad receives disability check for him and his 15 yr old son? If I claim my nephew as my dependent on 2006 tax returns, I don't want this to affect his dad's disability check that he receives for himself and for his son.

Thanks.:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 21, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Call the department that issues the disability check and ASK if you claiming your nephew as a dependent will affect his father's disability check.

Once you have that answer, then make your decision.

Based on the facts you have provided, you CAN claim your nephew as a dependent, but you do not want to do it if it affects his father's disability check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guardianship of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I need to obtain legal guardianship of my nephew he is 15 and has been living with me since July do I need to get a lawyer or can I just file the necessary paperwork on my own? Also if I can do it on my own where do I find the paperwork I need. The guardianship will not be contested by a parent. I...

Do I have the right to adopt my nephew [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and her winner boyfriend ( being sarcastic) Are both drug addicts he's in prison again for selling/doing drugs I heard that he is in for a good few years this time They took my poor nephew to see his dad in prison since the day he was born And then he got out of jail when he was like...

My baby nephew [ 4 Answers ]

Do aunts have rights to see their nephew? I don't know

How do I file taxes with dependent wife and new born baby: Advise [ 1 Answers ]

I am from India and am married. My wife is on H4 dependent visa joined me in US on April 14,2006 and gave birth to our son on Jan 29,2007. It looks like I won't be able to claim benefits for my son as he was born on Jan 29, 2007 but wanted to know if there were some benefits of being pregnant...

Custody of my nephew [ 2 Answers ]

I am wanting to have guardianship of my nephew who is being negleted. How do I go about it legally? What are some of my obstacles? Please give me some help.

View more questions Search