Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    integrator Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 11:10 AM
    State and Federal tax returns - Itemized deductions
    Hi-
    I am Non-Resident alien from India and will file Federal tax return using 1040NR-EZ.

Per Publication 519, there is provision to claim only itemized deductions by non-students from India (being non-resident alient, I cannot claim standard deduction).

It also states itemized deductions are limited to state or local income taxes. I am not able to figure out the state and local income tax. Is it the state taxes dedcuted my earnings during the financial year 2006 (and show in W2?)?

Or is it something different value?

Cheers!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 05:56 PM
    It IS the state and local income taxes withheld from your check and reflected at the bottom of the W-2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Foreign Tax Deductions Against MD State Tax Liability [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in London for 8 months out of the year. I worked in Maryland the other 4 months. I know how to use foreign tax credits on my federal and social security liabilities. Is there any way to use foreign tax credits against my Maryland State and Local Tax liability? These taxes are for...

Itemized tax deductions in OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My status for 2005 was: Jan 2005 - Sep 2005 = OPT (F-1 status) Oct 2005 - Dec 2005 = H1B Now my question is: 1) Is there any itemized deductions I can put for my OPT period? Like - books, donations(made in India), travel, rent, food, etc. And if "NOT" then is there any other...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

Federal tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my scenario - I was on F1 student visa from Aug 2002-July 2005 and on OPT after that. I started my H1B visa on Oct 1 2005. I went to India for about 3 weeks in Nov-Dec 2005. I have the following questions about my tax status - 1) Would I be filing the usual 1040NR-EZ and 8843...

View more questions Search