Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashoktaxID Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 12:55 PM
    TAX Return
    I arrived to US on Nov 2005. I started my work from 16th Nov 2005.
    Because I had not received my SSN company was giving my salary as advance, later on on FEB 2006 I received my SSN. I did not file any returns for 2005. But for this year instead of paying tax for amount X I have to pay for X+A(A= salary for Nov and Dec 2005 paid on Feb 2006). Can I file my returns only for amount of X.

Is it required to have tax ID number to file, even for the first time.
    How to get Tax ID for my wife and daughter who have joined me here on 19th Jan2006. Can I file jointly even If she doesnot have Tax ID number.
    Can I claim My daughter as dependent.

For your information, I had visited local IRS office to get tax ID for my wife and daughter, but they could not give for various reasons (people are misusing it for some other... ) and had no proper explanation how to obtain one. I hope you will show some light and I can walk through it.

Warm Regards.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 03:36 PM
    If the amount X + A is what is listed on the W-2, that is what you must pay taxes on.

Yes, your wife and child need Individual Tax Identification Numbers, which can be applied for with Form W-7.

Yes, you can file jointly and you can claim your daughter as a dependent.

If the local IRS office will not cooperate, you need to do it through the mail to Austin, TX.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

My Question Is About My IRS Refund I Owe Money To The Child Support Agency For My Ex-wife Now Me And My Current Wife Are Filing A Joint Return And Are Claiming Her 3 Children On The Return What Do I Do So The Child Support Agency Does Not Get Any Money From Are Return Thank You ...

Appropriate tax return strategy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was on F1 for 5 years, then on OPT for 10 months, and now on H1 for 8 months. This should qualify me as a resident alien for 2006. My wife did almost the same, but her H1 started 3 months ago, so I am not sure whether she is a resident alien or not for 2006. Her OPT also lasted for 11...

Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

We Are Married But Living In Different States, How Our Tax Return Will Be Affected?

State Tax Return [ 2 Answers ]

I am a F1 student in the state of California. I worked for 10 weeks in New york. Do I have to file a state tax return both for New York and California?

Need advise on Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I moved to New York in November 2005 with my wife on H1b. On December 31, 2005, I had a baby boy here in the US. I need to know which return should I fill and how would I present my wife and baby in that. Also, will I be able to claim any deductions for the amount that I had paid to the US Port...

View more questions Search