Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Le Croyant Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
    Federal Tax Return rejected
    Hello,

I e-filed my federal taxes & it was rejected. (married filing jointly)

Below is the reason given to me.

Form/Schedule: Form 1040 - U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
    Form Copy: 1
    Error Code: 503
    Error Description: The Spouse's Social Security Number and Name information provided on the Tax Return, does not match the information currently available in the IRS Masterfile. Please verify that the Name and Social Security Number entered for the Spouse is correct. Both entries should agree with the information on the Spouse's Social Security Card. If the information you have entered is correct according to your records, you may confirm or correct the information with the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or your local office. Review your entries in Basic Information and repeat the filing step to resubmit.
    My wife is on H4 & doesn't have a SSN, she has a ITIN.

My wife has a hyphenated last name, in this format (xx-xxxxxxx)

I called IRS & they told me to file but limit her last name to first letters of her last name (before the hyphen) and if that doesn't work then change the lat name to the second part of her last name (after the hyphen).

I am not sure if I should do that as I am not stating the correct last name. I did a bit searching & everywhere it says that I can file the last name with the hyphen.

What should I do? Do what the IRS rep said or paper file my return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2007, 10:26 PM
    Do what the IRS rep says. It's a computer matching issue with your wife's last name.

Feb 9, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Ok, but is that not false information? I do understand the computer not recognizing it. Will I get penalized for it later?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Not if the SSN or ITIN is accurate.

Your intent is to file a valid tax return. The computer just cannot properly match up the names.

Feb 11, 2007, 01:45 PM
    I filed my returns again...

First time I filed using the first letters of her last name (before the hyphen), it got rejected.

Then I filed using the second part of her last name (after the hyphen( and it again got rejected. I have no idea what to do now.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Call the Social Security Administration and find out EXACTLY how they have her listed on their files. Then use that name on your tax return.

If that does not work, you will have to file a paper return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal Tax + OPT [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I started working for a company in California from nov15th -2004 . I worked 3 months on OPT and from feb-15th I am working on H1.while on OPT , I paid federal tax of around $900 every month for 3 months . Do we have to pay federal tax while on OPT ? In case , if we don't have to...

Federal income tax [ 4 Answers ]

Explain how the federal income tax structure impacts a business decision to finance with use of debt vs. equity

Federal tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my scenario - I was on F1 student visa from Aug 2002-July 2005 and on OPT after that. I started my H1B visa on Oct 1 2005. I went to India for about 3 weeks in Nov-Dec 2005. I have the following questions about my tax status - 1) Would I be filing the usual 1040NR-EZ and 8843...

Federal Wage information is missing in my W2. How can I pay my Federal tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Last year, I was working as F1 in OPT. As F1, I can exempt from society security tax and medicare tax. But the accounting company also exempted my Federal tax and told me that was the way to do it. I thought I could report my Federal tax later, so I let it go. But right now, I get my...

View more questions Search