Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christie623 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2011, 09:20 AM
    Child Support Bench Warrants, if they left the state, is it still valid out of state?
    Has a few thousand $ warrant out, can they cross state lines or enforce it in the new state that he is in... Owes over 20grand... I know where he lives.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 15, 2011, 09:37 AM
    The answer is yes and no. If a person with warrants crosses a state line then they have crossed the line for prosecution. But they are still liable for the warrant. So if they are caught outside that state then the agency dealing with that person contacts the state with the warrant and can have them extradited. Meaning they will pick them up for return to the state that issued the warrant.

So to make it clear only the state that issued the warrant has jurisdiction to prosecute the warrant. But the other states have the right to hold that person for a determination of the warrant and for extradition.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2011, 09:47 AM
    Also in the case of a child support order, the order is collectible in other states. Most states have a reciprocal agreement to collect support.
    starrrooks61 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2013, 04:22 PM
    Have a co-worker with an emergency flight to Tennessee from New Jersey. However, he is in arrears 4,000.00 and do not have a state issued id. Does the second screening shows that he has an outstanding warrant in NJ? Could he be arrested at the airport?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a person with bench warrants get a state ID in a different state? [ 6 Answers ]

The warrants are for misdemeanor offenses, and were issued after leaving the state in which they were issued. My friend cannot afford to go back to the original state (or even to come home if he gets extradited) but his ID is expired and he needs to get a new one in order to start a new job. Is...

What establishes nh state jurisdiction over ma for child support,obligor of support I [ 8 Answers ]

Which state has jurisdiction over divorce/child support,divorce was tried and final in state of nh, after divorce finalized in nh,mother and child moved,and still reside in s.carolina since 2005,father/obligor moved to ma(out of financial nessesity,free room to live) so mother registered nh divorce...

Question about child support from state to state [ 3 Answers ]

My soon to be ex wife and I recently had a kid. The problem is, she moved out of state while pregnant. I question her reasons for leaving and the child doesn't look anything like me. I do plan on getting a paternity test but my question is: We lived in Arkansas and were married in Arkansas. The...

Can I be sued for child support for a step child according to NY state law? [ 6 Answers ]

Do I have to pay child support for a step child according to NY state law? :(

Can learner permit in one State be valid in another State [ 1 Answers ]

Say someone has a driver's learner permit from NC, can she/he use it ( learn to drive) legally in VA? Thanks

View more questions Search