Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    econcierge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Job related expenses - H1B renewal/legal fees
    Hi there,

I paid legal/INS fees for my H1B extension in 2006. This came out of my 2006 income earned in the us... can I claim the visa fees a work related deductible? And the legal fees as a legal expense for "doing or keeping my job" ? Thank uuu
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2007, 10:17 AM
    In my opinion, yes, they are deductible as an itemized deduction under Employee Business Expenses.

You will need to file Form 2106 in addition to Schedule A and Form 1040.
    IJAZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 03:17 PM
    What's the fees for H1B renewal? I heard it was reduced but how much?

Thank you
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 10:45 AM
    I know nothing about the visa fee structure!
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2016, 10:17 PM
    To ALL concerned, my 2007 answer regarding the tax deductibility of visa fees is WRONG!

I have since thoroughly researched this issue, and the IRS position (backed up by Tax Court rulings) is that any fees and expenses associated with visa and immigration are considered personal costs and therefore are NOT deductible!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

Legal fees for custody [ 6 Answers ]

We are considering taking on legal custody of 15 yr. old who's parents don't want him. He is my sister's son and therefore we are aunt and uncle. We feel that the biological parents should be responsible for the legal fees involved with the custody process. Is it reasonable to expect this and is it...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

H1B with W2 can Claim Job Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and on getting W2. But working as consultant to the Client. Can I claim job related expenses like my rental, internet and daily commute charges while filing tax.

Job related expenses : visa fees [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, A friend of mine told me she included immigration fees ( visa issuance, travel to home country for visa interview) in the job related expenses to get deductions ( if itemized deductions is better than standard). She said that she considers it a job expense ( which was...

View more questions Search