Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashishp108 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Tax deduction on dependent
    I am currently on an H1b visa (for last 7 months) and my brother is under F1 visa ( 1month). I am paying for his tuition and was wondering if I can claim tax deduction based on the fact that he would be considered a dependent under me. Also, do I have to file any documents to make him as a dependent? Also, is there any tax advantages with this situation.

Thanks
    - Ashish
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2007, 09:55 PM
    Ashish:

Are you married?

What is your country of origin?

When did you enter the country?

Jan 24, 2007, 07:13 AM
    No I am not married
    Country of origin - Tanzania
    I entered US in sept 2002 on F! Status, and was converted to H1B 7 months ago.

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 11:28 AM
    How long has your brother been in the U.S. on his F-1 visa?

Does HE have any income earned in the U.S. in 2006?

How much income have you earned while on H-1B in 2006? How much was earned while on F-1 in 2006?

What is the EXACT date that your H-1B went into effect (VERY important to how I advise you)?

Jan 24, 2007, 12:27 PM
    My brother has been on F1 for 1 month.
    He hasn't earned any income
    Income while on H1B - $20K
    Income while on F1 - $5K
    H1B went into effect on 11/21/06
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 03:35 PM
    If you REALLY want to claim your brother as a dependent, you will have to file a dual-status tax return.

To file dual-status, you must wait until mid-June 2007 before you can file, because you will NOT meet the Substantial Presence Test until then.

If you do not want to wait, you can file as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ right away. But you CANNOT claim your brother as a dependent if you file this way.

Jan 25, 2007, 07:09 AM
    What do you suggest I should be doing to get better benefits/claim. If waiting till June 2007 is a good option that's fine. What are the procedures in filing the Dual-status? Are there and paper work to be done or anything else to prove that my brother is a dependent. Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
    There are NO procedures to prove your brother is a dependent. I would attach a copy of his visa to show that he was in the U.S. for at least part of 2006.

The dual-status return is a very complex return. You should get professional help. If you want to use my service, contact me at [email protected].

Jan 25, 2007, 12:39 PM
    One of the requirements to claim someone as a dependent is that he should be a citizen of US. Is that true? Because neither me nor him are citizens.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 07:12 PM
    No, not a citizen but rather a resident.

If he was in the U.S. for part of 2006, then he qualifies as a resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1 tax filing with dependent [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian who came to US in Jan 2002 and started my OPT on 1/2/2005 and shifted to H1 starting 1/1/2006. I have a dependent (wife, ITIN issued, no SSN) and have been claiming the standard deduction + 2 * personal exemption for the past three years using the 1040 NR, MFS as she has no...

Tax Exemption for Dependent [ 12 Answers ]

I am H1 visa holder and working in US since April, 2006. I was alone here. Now my family (wife and 3 yr yound son) will be joining me on 1st Feb, 2007. While filing my tax return, Can I take some benefit in tax deductions. (Standard deduction etc on behalf of my dependent, wife and son). For...

How to get tax refund when someone else claims me as a dependent [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is disabled, and I can claim her as a dependent. She worked briefly during the year, and her employer withheld all taxes. How or can she get a tax refund from the feds and the state? Thanks.

Tax forms for H1B with F1 dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently on H1B status, and have been recently married to someone with a F1 status. My question is two fold.. 1. Is there any advantage of filing taxes together? 2. If we do decide to file together, what are the appropriate forms that we need to fill out? Any help would be...

View more questions Search