Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccoolster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 08:04 PM
    Can I include my Apartment Rent for claiming Tax Returns with IRS?
    Hi,

I am currently is USA in a L1B Visa and I have stayed in Denver,US from Jan 1st 2010 till date. This is the First time I am filing taxes in USA.

While filing the taxes can I include the below items for Itemization

1) Apartment Rent
    2) Transportation expenses to/from office (Bus pass etc)
    3) Apartment Electricity expense?
    4) Internet and Mobile Bill?
    5) Laptop Cost (If purchased )?

I have these doubts because when I approcahed an auditor to file my taxes,he asked me for the above expenses mentioned,so that he can include them for my tax filing.
    Are these items mentioned above valid?
    Can we include them for filing the Taxes?
    Also,By including the above items are we at 0 risk for getting any queries from IRS?
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Mar 14, 2011, 06:41 PM
    Apartment rent is not deductible on your federal return, some states have a renters deduction.
    Commuting expenses are not deductible, however, some states have a credit for commuter expenses (MA for example).
    All the other expenses are not deductible unless you are self-employed and those are business expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find out the status of 540X returns (amended California tax returns) [ 1 Answers ]

12 weeks ago I submitted amendments to my California state tax returns, is there a way to check on the status of these returns?

Does 3 day Pay rent or quit notice include only rent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My tenant paid $500 to get into my house (California). He was supposed to pay $3300 ($1800 rent + $2000 deposit) by 4th June. This was stated in contract. Instead he paid $1000 on 06/06. He deposited in my bank account. So if I want to give him a 3day pay rent or quit notice, should I...

Claiming tax benefits and returns [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am in US on L1 visa since July 28, 2007. I have declared on my W4 form that I am married and have one kid. They are dependent on me. As of now they are residing in India and will join me in Jan 2008. I have got 3 points because of my declaration and my taxes are deducted at source based on...

Apartment rent as deductible expense for H1B tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

I am living and working at chicago in H1B status. My employer is at New Jersey. Can I claim my apartment rent of $1250 as expense for the purpose of itemisarion? I have been living at chicago for the last 3 years. Thanks, Thomas

View more questions Search