Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JAIDC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2011, 06:02 AM
    Mileage Deduction Allowance - Income Tax
    I work as a delivery clerk for a pizza restaurant/store. Delivery clerks (drivers) provide/use their own vehicle to make the deliveries. At the end of the night the delivery clerk (driver) receives a small commission (payment) for the use of the vehicle used to make the deliveries done that day/night. The amount of the commission received is equal to approximately $.27+/- (cents) per mile. Needless to say, that commission is lower than what the IRS gives credit when a person uses their own vehicle for work purposes. My questions are:

1- Am I allowed to claim in my income tax return form the difference of the mileage that I am entitled to receive (assuming that the IRS still gives a credit of $.58 per mile)?

2- For 2010, what is the amount of money per mile that the IRS allows to claim, and is 20,000 miles still the limit?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 18, 2011, 08:02 AM
    1 - Yes, on form 2106 or 2106EZ. You enter the difference. But it's .50/mile, not .58, for 2010.
    Keep in mind that you must have a log book showing actual dates and mileage (usually odometer numbers) in case of audit, and you cannot include miles gone for personal use. You can't just enter how many miles you put on your car in 2010.
    2 - I don't remember a mileage limit? Where did you get 20,000?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car mileage tax deduction [ 2 Answers ]

I just joined some direct sales organization which effectively makes me Self Employed. I know that for SE, we are allowed to use business-related car mileage as tax deduction. I am thinking about using the per-mile rate rather than actual expenses. However, the car in question is NOT...

Income tax deduction [ 1 Answers ]

In 2008 I moved back to the US after living abroad and working as a military contractor for several years. The move was at my own expense, including costs to ship my belongings and for plane tickets. I first flew from my old country of residense to North Carolina to visit family for a month,...

Income Tax deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I want opininon about tax deduction on housing Loan. I'm living in a rented accommodation paying monthly rent of about Rs. 5000.00 paer month. I hv purchased a plot for investment purpose only and not meant for construction/living and taken an housing loan for the said plot paying monthly...

Income tax deduction [ 1 Answers ]

While joining a new employer, my previous employer deducted some amount under bond recovery head. Previous employer has deducted tax on this amount. Now my new employer had reimbursed me with same amount. But again tax is being deducted in same amount. Which employer has the right to deduct the...

View more questions Search