Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artgirl911 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2011, 10:12 AM
    I claimed my niece on my taxes and it was rejected... help!
    I currently have custody of my niece. She lived with me from the end of December 2009 until the beginning of May 2010. In October of 2010 she was given to me from CPS (now officially a foster child). I claimed her on my taxes and it was rejected because someone had claimed her already. My brother (who had 100% custody, the mother has 0%) knows I was claiming her. Is there anything I can do? I don't think I can fight it because I can't prove she was with me in the beginning of the year.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2011, 10:49 AM

Call CPS and ask them to provide you a letter confirming when you were given financial responsibility for the child and take it to your tax preparer. You can also call the IRS helplines and ask how to handle it- they are actually very, very informative and I've had a great experience using this service.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 17, 2011, 11:44 AM

If you provided over half the child's suport, then you can claim her as your dependent even though she didn't live with you all year (a niece can be a qualifying relative without living in the same household). You can also claim her because she is now your foster child, and hence a qualifying child. The only person who could fight you on this (and possibly win) is the custodial parent, which from Jan - Oct was your brother. But you say you and he are in synch on this, so that shouldn't be an issue.

My suggestion is file your return claiming her as your dependent, but you will have to file by paper (not electronically). I suggest you include a letter indicating that you are the child's foster parent and that you provided over half her financial support in 2010.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone claimed my child on taxes [ 21 Answers ]

I e filed my taxes and to my surprise someone I don't even know who it is claimed one of my children what steps do I take to find out who it is and what do I do about it:mad:

IRS rejected my taxes because someone claimed my son [ 4 Answers ]

I e-filed my taxes this year only to find out that it was rejected by the IRS because someone has claimed my son... how can I find out who and can I prosecute?

How do I know if someone claimed my son on their taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are separated and when she did her taxes, she claimed both my children. Now when she received her taxes, she did not receive everything that she was suppose to get back because someone had claimed my son on their taxes. So she came straight to me and asked me if I had claimed him. How...

Taxes rejected because dependents already claimed [ 5 Answers ]

My tax return was rejected due to my dependents already being claimed, my ex-boyfriend has claimed them. This is 2 years in a row that he has has put them down on his tax return. He is not the custodial parent and he only sees them when it is convenient for him. No child support of any nature. ...

View more questions Search