Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aerie Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Filed bankruptcy in 2005,bill included but was garnished in 2009 pd bill in full
    I had a vehicle that was repossed in 2004-2005. The vehicle was sold in their auction, leaving a balance(amount unknown). I received a letter in 2005 stating I owe $4999 plus 25% per annum. My employer received a wage levy for this same bill stating I owe $9366.00. My wages were garnished and I have paid the bill in full, however when I filed bankruptcy in 2005 this creditor was a part of the bankruptcy and this is showed on my bureau. Is their anyway I can recoup these funds as there is a discrepancy in the amount due, the vehicle was sold, and the bill was apart of bankruptcy. I told my employer the bill was part of bankruptcy but they still took my funds. What can I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2011, 11:34 AM

I'm willing to bet that any statute of limitataions (not sure what it would be) must have expired since then since its now 2011.

Feb 10, 2011, 11:46 AM
    So, how do I find that out? How long is statute of limitations on any bill? Like I said the issue I have is the bill shows on my bureau as filed in bankruptcy, however I paid the bill to a third party through garnishment. There was no writ of execution, and on public records it shows the bill has not been satisfied. When I went to the firm that CAC sold the account to they did not want to give me any information on the bill and they refused to provide me with a payment received printout and told me to ask my employer for a print out. When checking ,my bureau it lists the company name, no phone number and it states you can only send a letter and wait for a response. So are you saying I can't get my funds back?
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2011, 12:08 PM

Those statutes will apply in the state the debt occurred. You can Google them up for that state.

Your employer didn't simply take that money... they were presented with a valid writ of garnishment issued by a court.

The only chance you would have to contest that would be through the court that issued it and that's going to take the involvement of a lawyer at your expense.

But keep in mind... the burden to prove it was issued in error will be yours to make because the court already ruled on that. And that assumes its not outside any statute of limitiations time which would result in a dismissal of any case you try to make.

By the time you pay the lawyers legal fees you can quickly eat up a large portion of that... and if you lose... you are even further in the hole. But there is always the chance of winning.

There will be other answers, some from people who may have more direct experience... so be patient they will come.

Feb 10, 2011, 01:14 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    I can prove it as I have the paperwork stating what is owed, but later my employer has paperwork showing the amount of $5000 more. I did check with the county and they stated a judgement was entered but there was no writ. The company CAC hired attorneys to do this. Yes I want my money back, because the debt was included in the bankruptcy, yet 5 yrs later I get garnished and on the public records website as well as my credit report it shows that I still owe the full amount when I have the garnishment paperwork, check stubs with amounts taken each check and the letter from the law firm showing what I have paid so far. When I requested paperwork from the law firm they simply said "we didn't do anything wrong"!
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2011, 07:51 PM

If you believe that then hire a lawyer. But its not a do-it-yourself thing... too many statutes to have to quote... too many rules and timelines to have to follow for anyone without a law degree and familiarity in that specialty to do themselves. You could run out the clock on the statute of limitations before you got them all right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My credit report say my car was included in bancruptcy but I'm still paying the bill? [ 9 Answers ]

I filed chapter 7 in 2008 and they were supposed to leave my car off there wich I thought they did since I have still been getting bills and paying them. My concern is when I check my credit report for the last 2 years they always say the car loan was included in the bancpruptcy and is closed. The...

President Obama's 2009 Stimulus Bill [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 65 year old disabled man living on SS disabiltiy income. Can anyone tell me if I must file income tax return for 2008 to receive any stimulus payment on the President's new Bill? And anyone know how much the retired/disabiled will get? Thank you

Garnished by two different companies for the same bill [ 3 Answers ]

What do you do if you think that a company sold your account to two different companies which both companies have garnished your wages, one right after the other for the same amount

Can Child support be garnished from GI bill? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend is paying child support to three different women all in different states. (yes he has had a vasectomy) :p They take half of what is left of his paycheck after taxes and health insurance. He gets $360 from an $1100 check. He got a 2nd job to try to stay afloat, and they took half...

Just received dental bill from Nov 2005 - Responsible? [ 4 Answers ]

Just today I received a dental bill for services dating back to 2005. Can they bill me nearly 2 years later? This is the first time I was billed for these services for my daughter. The bill states that my insurance was also just billed. There is no insurance coverage for the work that was done...

View more questions Search