Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyoshida Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 10:25 PM
    My employer forgot to pay my social security tax and medicare tax for 8 years.
    Dear all- I would like to ask all your favors if you know good tips for this issue...

I was full time employee of the employer "J" from May 2000 through August 2008.
    After I left J and became a freelancer, we found out that J didn't pay half part of social security tax and medicare tax for about 8 years, and they didn't deduct another half part of these 2 taxes from my pay stubs for same 8 years.

My accountant told me that J has responsibility to collect/pay entire(past 8 years) these 2 taxes. But, a accountant of J told me that J will collect/pay half part of 2 taxes just like J had to do originally, and I also will have to collect/pay my half part of 2 taxes. So, I am confused now.

1. Which is truth? My accountant? Or J's accountant? Is there any legal document that can answer for this kind of issue? If there is, I can show and prove truth to both of accountants.
    2. If what J's accountant said is true, the total amount I have to pay(half part of 2 taxes) will be too big to pay off once & soon. Is there any way to hold, break up or avoid my part of the payment because this issue started from J's mistake?
    3. I would like to know the right way and steps to solve this issue.

Thank you so much and look forward to hearing your advice.

MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 12:19 PM

"J" treated you as independent contractor. They must have issued you 1099-misc instead of W-2.
    Some one may have file form SS-8 and IRS may have told "J" to treat independent contractors like you as regular employees.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 02:22 PM
    What MukatA says is true, but there more to it than that.

First, J did not FORGET to withhold these taxes; he made the conscious decision to treat you like an employee, yet pay you as an independent contractor.

If the IRS has caught him doing this and is now demanding that he pay the back FICA taxes that he owes, he cannot come back to you for your share of these FICA taxes, because, for Tax Year 2009 and earlier, he has NO LEGAL STANDING to collect those taxes.

Since you are no longer work for him, he CANNOT pursue you in the courts for the FICA taxes from 2000 through 2008, and the IRS will NOT bother you about these taxes. You can tell J's accountant to go fly a kite. Any threat he makes has NO legal basis.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 04:21 PM

Agree with Atlanta tax, and will add you should not talk to them, and risk saying something that could obligate you in any way. Ignore is good in this case, In this case they will have to pay the full amount to the IRS, and hopefully a lesson learned.

I guess though you get a pay stub every week, why did you not notice for all those years, and when you went to do your income taxes that you did not have any of those withholdings form your check

Jan 28, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Hi all-

Thank you so much for all your answers, these help me a lot really.

My accountant found that J didn't deduct these 2 taxes from my 2008 W2 form. (I was doing TurboTax thing until 2007.)
    I told J about this, and they checked the all past payments and taxes for 8 years and they found out this mistake. They simply told forgot and mistake. They fixed with W2C for 2008 quickly, but they told they have to talk with IRS to find out about a solution before 2007.

I was full-time employee and J hired as so because they told so and had initial documentation, and also I was with H1B visa and got my Green Card later with J. I don't believe just consultant status can get H1B and Green Card.

And, yes, what I didn't understand how to look at my pay stubs was one thing I could avoid this issue for long time... I didn't even understand about social security benefit at all.

So, it sounds like I lost a part of benefit that I could earn from my 8 years employee status whatever reason and whosever responsibility because like Mr. AtlantaTaxExpert answered " ...because, for Tax Year 2009 and earlier, he has NO LEGAL STANDING to collect those taxes. "

But, J is saying that J is wiling to collect half part of these 2 taxes. So, still my question is...

Another half of taxes will be too big to pay off once & soon. Is there any way to hold, break up or avoid my part of the payment because this issue started from J's mistake?

Thank you so much!

Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 09:02 AM
    Tyoshida:

You may have to take a stand and threaten to quit if they attempt to collect the FICA taxes prior to 2008, especially if it is a substantial amount of money.

That decision is ultimately yours to make. If you DO quit, they CANNOT pursue you via court action to collect your share of the FICA taxes.

Feb 7, 2011, 08:16 PM
    Thank you so much, AtlantaTaxExpert.

So, what my accountant says is not true, then...
    Yes, it is big payment for me to pay off but I still wanted to fix my benefit...

Thank you so much again.

Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2011, 12:35 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax refund when I left usa [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Sir or Madam, I came to US as a research scholar (J1 visa). I've worked under J1 status from 04/2006 to 04/2010, and paid Social Security and Medicare fee for 2 years. However, I am leaving US soon, and no longer work and retire in US. So my questions will be: 1. Am I eligible to claim...

Employer did not collect social security tax and medicare of H1b [ 4 Answers ]

I started working in U.S with TN Visa status from Jan 2008 to Sep 2008 then with H1B until now. I went accountant office for my income tax return and submit my W2 but had a trouble. He said my employer has not collected social security tax(SS) and medicare(MD) and I might be punished later. HR...

Do I have to pay medicare and social security tax as a postdoctor with H1B? [ 2 Answers ]

I came from China at Sept,2007, with F2 visa. I became a postdoctor in university this year, and changed to H1b in Jan, 2009. Because of US-China treaty, I don't need to pay Fed and state tax. But, I paid medicare and social security tax. I heard the postdoctor with J1 visa don't need to pay ...

J1 for 5 years and H1 now,should I pay Social security and medicare tax?Thanks [ 1 Answers ]

I have been J1 for 5 years and now I have H1. Do I need to pay social security and medicare tax for the first three years or when should I pay those tax? Am I a resident tax payer right after I hold H1 visa? Thanks

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am [ 2 Answers ]

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am from China. My H-1 may be approved for starting this Oct.

View more questions Search