Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bill_keene Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Tax question - sold house in UK
    Hi folks

Can anyone help me with the following question? I have just moved to the US from the UK, where I have sold my house in preparation for buying one here. I have transferred just over $75K in equity from the house sale to my account in the US. I'm pretty sure I don't have to pay any tax on this gain in the UK but what about the US? Should I keep some money aside for the IRS or can I sink it all into my new home?

Thanks for any help anyone can give

Bill in Alabama
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Bill:

Assuming you are a U.S. citizen, your $75K gain is tax exempt provided you live in AND owned the house for two of the last five years.

If you need professional help preparing your return, please consider using my services. You will find my rates extremely competitve. Contact me at [email protected] if you are interested! I have references from clients who are people just like you.
    bill_keene Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Thanks ATE, and yes I am. I've made a note of your email address also.

Bill
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 12, 2007, 01:13 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on inheritance sold abroad [ 3 Answers ]

My cousin living in Massachusets inherited abroad a condo 100 K value. If sold there, would it be taxed somehow by Federal or State Gov?

House in Estate sold after 15 years [ 5 Answers ]

My mother passed away in 1990 and my brother, sister and I inherited her property which consisted of a small house. However her will stipulated that we could not sell the House until after my daughter turned 25, which was in Oct of 2006. This meant that we were to rent the house and the proceeds...

Buying a house question. [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? Oregon I need to some help. There is a house with some property that been vacant for over two years now. When to my local county court house to get information on it. What I found out is that there is back taxes on the house (2003,2004,2005). There was a...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search