Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    engrebuilder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2007, 05:32 PM
    401K withdrawal and taxes ?
    I'm a 37 year old male... single (not married)... factory worker for about 19 years... took out a 26K 401K hardship withdrawal last year. Out of the 26K, they sent me a check for 22K and some change... This means they kept about 4K. If my salary was 33K, not counting the withdrawal money, what am I going to owe in taxes in April? Thanks, Marty
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Given the data you cite, and NOT counting the $4K that was withheld, your federal income tax is $10,001. That include the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

What exactly was the withdrawal for? And what state are you living in?

Jan 4, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Home purchase... Ky.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Pity! If you had rolled the money into an IRA, you could have withdrawn the money, and $10,000 of it would have been EXEMPT from the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty under First Time Buyer exemption.

Jan 4, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Thanks... I usually get back between 1200 and 1500 from Federal each year, plus I also have an extra 5.00 taken out for federal taxes each week. WIll this offset the 10K bill by much?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Well, you have already had $4K withheld, so the actual tax due is about $6,000.

Still, you better plan on making payments in a tax payment plan for a few years.

Jan 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
    So, just so I understand... your normal refund amount won't really offset what you would owe? Like, you owed 10K, they already took 4K... you owe 6K, but you were getting a 1200.00 refund, so you now owe 4800.00..?. You see where I'm going here? I would owe 6K regardless of if I would have had a refund or not? Isn't the normal deduction 4 or 5K? I totally trust your info, I'm just easily confused with this stuff... Thanks again!
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2007, 09:30 PM
    The $5,150 standard deduction was already factored into my tax calculations.

Your tax liability before ANY withholding was $10,001, They withheld $4,000 from the 401K distribution, so your tax withholding from your salary has to cover $6,000. Not likely.

Your tax bill will be the difference between what your total federal income tax withholding was and $6,000. Since you have not told what was withheld from your pay, I cannot answer for sure what you will have to pay when you file tax return.

However, based on what you HAVE told me, I think your annual withodling is about $4,000. If I am right, you will have to pay about $2,000 when you file your tax return.

If I were you, I would start saving right now. You have until April 15th to collect the money to pay the tax bill. Otherwise, you will have to pay on a payment plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k hardship withdrawal [ 10 Answers ]

I will try to summarize my situation. My wife & I gross $55000/yr. We've recently re-financed our house to the max value of $110000 & still have $50000 of credit card debt. We are both losing our jobs due to a plant closing. I have a job on the horizon but, my wife, who earns the majority of the...

401k early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Can you withdraw from a 401 to satisfy a divorce settlement without penalty?

401K withdrawal taxes and penalty figures [ 11 Answers ]

I can tell I'm going to make about $32000 this year... Back in Feb. our company did away with its (Cash Balance) plan of retirement, in which we had several choices to make on it. Mine was to take it in a lump sum, which was not the smartest, but what's done is done. The amount was $12,295 and the...

401K Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I'm in a place I need money but have no job and don't know what I am doing in trying to get some money to put on a apartment with a friend and I need to know how to do a draw from the 401k for a start to a new life.

401K early withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

I have been laid off due to a work injury. To survive I must cash in my 401k, but I am trying to avoid the early withdrawal penalty. I have not yet been declared disabled but am currently pursuing this. Our family taxable income is only 26,000.00. I am currently receiving workman's compensation...

View more questions Search