Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jay23 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2006, 10:47 PM
    FICA taxes not withheld by my employer
    Hi all,
    I came to US on F-1 status in Aug 1998. I joined my current company on OPT in May 2000. I got my H1B status in July 2001. Till date (Dec 2006), my employer has not withheld the FICA taxes. I was not very well-informed on this and realised it is better to fix the situation. My questions are
    1. Who pays the FICA taxes for these 6 years legally? Employer or me?
    2. How many years should we back pay? Is three years the right number? If so, what happens to the first three years? Will IRS or employer issue me a letter five years down the line to pay for the first three years?
    3. Will this end up in a legal battle between me and employer? I really don't want to leave this company.

Please advise.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 23, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Jay:

1) You are not responsible for the payment of these taxes. It is SOLELY the responsibility of the employer to pay the taxes and collect the employee's share from the employee.

2) Actually, if the IRS finds out about this oversight, they will probably require the employer to pay ALL six years. However, the employer, by law, can only require YOU to pay for 2006, and then only if they act prior to 31 January 2007. I recently called the IRS about a very similar case and they confirmed that the employer can only collect at most one year's back taxes for Social Security and Medicare. It is spelled out in IRS Pub 15.

3) There will be no legal battle; the employer would have no chance in court. Now, they MAY fire you if you refuse to pay. You have to decide if your job is worth paying SIX years of back taxes. The bill could exceed $50,000.

Dec 23, 2006, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Jay:

1) You are not responsible for the payment of these taxes. It is SOLELY the responsibility of the employer to pay the taxes and collect the employee's share from the employee.

2) Actually, if the IRS finds out about this oversight, they will probably require the employer to pay ALL six years. However, the employer, by law, can only require YOU to pay for 2006, and then only if they act prior to 31 January 2007. I recently called the IRS about a very similar case and they confirmed that the employer can only collect at most one year's back taxes for Social Security and Medicare. It is spelled out in IRS Pub 15.

3) There will be no legal battle; the employer would have no chance in court. Now, they MAY fire you if you refuse to pay. You have to decide if your job is worth paying SIX years of back taxes. The bill could exceed $50,000.
    Little confused. If IRS asks the employer to pay for six years then can the employer still ask me my share of 6 years with the pressure of firing me? I am still OK with paying my share for 2006 but not the whole deal.

Thanks for the advise. Please reply to this one.

Dec 23, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Jay:

One more thing. I am looking at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf
    Can you please tell me exactly where it mentions that employer can collect at more one year in back taxes?

Thanks again.
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 24, 2006, 03:35 PM
    It's on page 28 of the IRS Pub 15, under "Collecting underwithheld taxes from employees. Note the second last sentence.

Dec 24, 2006, 08:01 PM
    It's on page 28 of the IRS Pub 15, under "Collecting underwithheld taxes from employees. Note the second last sentence.
    Thanks a lot for replying. The second last line of IRS Pub 15 says "Underwithheld INCOME tax must be recovered from the employee on or before the last day of the calendar year."

Is it safe to assume that the above also holds true for Underwithheld FICA tax?

Please reply and thanks for your time.

Jay
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 25, 2006, 09:09 AM
    That is a safe assumption.

It IS in the IRS Pub 15, however, as I called the IRS and spoke with a representative who read the pertinent passage from IRS Pub 15 about six weeks ago.

I just cannot find that passage.
    mig21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Jay23, please contact me - PM or better yet e-mail - very similar situation!!
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 12:07 PM
    No comment!
    Q_A Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Jay:

AtlantaTaxExpert:

I found your comments above very helpful since I am in a similar situation to Jay's. I started at my current employer in the summer of '06 on a F-1 visa (OPT). I became a permanent resident the summer of 2007. I am about to resign from this job and a week or two ago the employer noticed that they did not withhold FICA taxes from my paychecks since I became a permanent resident.

I have two questions:

1. I interpreted the relevant language in IRS Pub 15 to mean that the employer is able to ask and charge the employee for his/her portion of the FICA taxes due but that the ee is not legally obligated to pay it since it is ultimately the employer's responsibility to ensure those taxes are withheld from each paycheck and since "reimbursement is a matter for settlement" between the er and the ee. Do you agree?

2. In my case, I believe that the employer could only recover FICA taxes for the pay I received during 2008 and not 2007 since they did not charge me by 12/31/07 ("last day of the calendar year") for the 2007 FICA taxes due. Do you agree?

Your expedient answers would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
    Q_A
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Did you receive W2 for 1099-Misc for 2007 from your employer? Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: W2 vs 1099-Misc: Employee vs Independent Contractor.

If you were a regular employee, then employer must deduct FICA taxes when you are resident. For 2007, did you inform the employer of the change of status? If you did not inform the employer, then evidently, you are responsible for this situation.

For 2008, they must recover all the due FICA taxes from you.
    Q_A Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA
    Did you receive W2 for 1099-Misc for 2007 from your employer? Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: W2 vs 1099-Misc: Employee vs Independent Contractor.

If you were a regular employee, then employer must deduct FICA taxes when you are resident. For 2007, did you inform the employer of the change of status? If you did not inform the employer, then evidently, you are responsible for this situation.

For 2008, they must recover all the due FICA taxes from you.
    MukatA:

I did receive a W-2 from my employer (I am a regular full-time employee at a corporation).

I did inform the employer of my change of status. More than once actually. It seems they did not coordinate well with payroll.

I would have given a notice to the employee if I was aware of the tax situation but I wasn't. Nevertheless, what is your opinion on my 2 questions?

Thanks.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Q_A:

The employer CAN collect unwithheld FICA taxes for calendar year 2008, but it is TOO LATE for them to legally require you to pay these unwithheld taxes for 2007.
    teusi1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 07:21 AM
    Just got a letter from Corp that I am to make FICA Taxes repayment as from 2005 to 2009. Are they allow as per the Tax Pub 15 to ask me to repay from 2005 until now or just ask for 2009 only? Also since it was the Corps fault are they allowed to charge an interest rate forwards the repayment?
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 12:56 PM
    It is my considered opinion that the corporation has NO LEGAL STANDING to collect past FICA taxes for 2005 through 2009. Since they have no legal standing to collect the money, for sure they cannot charge you interest.

The only thing they can do is terminate your employment if you fail to coorperate.

Now, five years worth of FICA taxes represents a SIGNIFICANT amount of money, so it may be worth quitting over this issue. If you leave their employment, they would, in my opinion, have NO CASE under which they can take you to court on this issue.

However, since I am NOT an attorney, recommend that you take this to a local tax attorney and get a professional LEGAL opinion in writing before you proceed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B - Employer not deducting FICA [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, The date on my opt is from May 2005 to May 2006. But meanwhile my H1B petition got approved starting 1st Nov 2005. But my employer who filed for my H1B was not deducting social security and medicare taxes till January. When I noticed, I asked him about this and he said it is a...

Question about taxes withheld [ 1 Answers ]

I claim 0, 0 and live in Kentucky. Can you please tell me the percentage of taxes taken out?

Resident alien with no FICA withheld during CPT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi expert, I am preparing my 2005 tax return but could not figure out how to do with FICA.:confused: I did an internship last summer using CPT because I am a full-time international student and didn't inform my employer that time that I will claim myself as a resident alien because I was not...

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

H1B, employer not paying withheld income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I know that my employer isn't paying the income taxes that he withholds from my salary. Does that affect my situation regarding my H1B? I mean in the application it says that I should be paid a certain salary to have this Visa and if the taxes that are withheld are not paid it will look like I have...

View more questions Search