Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktxn2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 12:11 PM
    Per diem rate for independent contractor
    Hi there,

I reside in Los Angeles, and will be an independent contractor working in Las Vegas. I will be in Las Vegas on week days and return to Los Angeles in weekends. I found the per diem rate applied in Las Vegas, but get confused. Please, someone can explain to me what the rate that I can use.

Thanks,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 12, 2010, 12:19 PM
    You CANNOT use the per diem rate for the hotel costs. For rent and utility costs, you must use the actual cost of what you paid for rent and utilities. The same applies for daily transportation costs.

However, you CAN use the Meal & Incidental Expense per diem rate of $64 per day for your meal and incidental costs (found in the 2009 version of IRS Pub 1542, which can be downloaded from Internal Revenue Service).

You need to pro-rate a portion of the $64 for the incidental costs; I typically use $9 per day, leaving $55 per day for the meals.

The meal costs will be cut in half on the Schedule C, so you will only be able to deduct $27.50.
    ktxn2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot. Another question I have is can I claim the heath/dental/car insurance at the end of the year?
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Aug 12, 2010, 06:22 PM
    QUOTE, Can I claim the heath/dental/car insurance at the end of the year? "---Yes, you can deduct your health/dental and car expenses( if you qulaify, you may choose mileage rate, $55/mile for business use; you also deduct the costs of tolls, parking fees, interest on your vehicle loan(if applicable) However, if you don't use your vehicle 100% for your business, then your expenses will need to be prorated between business and personal use. So, you need to keep a milegage log.
    But You can't deduct your vehicle insurance expenses.
    Also you may deduct 50% of all your qualified meals expenses.( the meals MUST be directly related to your business as you can see!)
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12

Aug 12, 2010, 06:30 PM
    QUOtE," . . . Yes, you can deduct your health/dental expenses"---If the amount of the expenses exceed 7.5% of your AGI(10% of AGI, I Guess, if you are subject to AMT).please a make a noteof this!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 independent contractor / student loan garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 1099 independent contractor in Arizona and one of the companies I sometimes do work for just received a notice to garnish my "wages" due to unpaid student loans. As a full 1099, I am responsible for paying my own withholdings such as the taxes, ss, etc... I do not receive weekly,...

Exemption taxes if working with a J2 visa as an independent contractor? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I need a response ASAP about this concern. I am a French J-2 visa holder, recently working as an independent contractor. I am wondering if I can apply for an exemption of taxes. I know that the J-2 visa is not exempt of paying FICA taxes, contrary to my spouse who has a J-1 visa,...

Tax rate for independent contractors [ 4 Answers ]

I am starting a job as an independent contractor and would like to know how much I should put asaide for taxes.

Independent Contractor [ 6 Answers ]

I did a little searching around and found a few topics that touched on this, but my circumstances are a bit different than the topics I found. I just was obtained by a small web design company as an independent contractor, I've never done anything like this before, but it seems like a great gig...

Tax Advice for independent Contractor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a full time job and pay Uncle Sam on a reg basis. However, this year... I had the opportunity to earn a nice amount of $$ on the side, offering my Music Production Services in my spare time. This was done from my own home and it generated me approx $25,000. Would someone give me advice on...

View more questions Search