Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    royeyrich Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2010, 01:09 AM
    When to use different types of Thread Tape?
    Yes, do put me in the novice/homeowner category regarding plumbing.

I thought I knew what I was doing in regards to the repairs around my own home. Over the years I installed new faucets at my sinks, also replaced the water heater with it's water and gas supply lines. It took me awhile but in the end I was happy with my work.

Then recently I observed a professional working at a neighbor’s home. And noticed that he was using different types of thread tapes and the gas cylinder he used for soldering the copper lines was not the basic blue one that I had purchased from my local home center in the past.

So can someone identify when the different tapes are used in a basic repair. Also what are the differences in the gas cylinders? IE as identified by color: green, blue and yellow?

I realize it is always best to have a professional complete these types of jobs. But sometimes due to time or money, we homeowners do find ourselves at the local home centers buying off the shelf.

Thank you
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 01:53 AM

Good question:

Tapes: See here: Teflon Tape, Teflon Thread Sealant
    Gas requires yellow. White or pink for water. Most people use pipe dope for gas.

It's always nice to have some plumber's grease around for lubercating faucets, etc. It's even good for compression fittings. It will aid in disassembly.

Only tapered fittings need the teflon tape or pipe dope applied per package instructions.

You can use a layer of teflon tape just to make things easier to come apart on straight fittings. I don't. Prefer to use plumber's silicon grease.

I was taught long ago when dealing with compressed gasses coming in 3000 lb cyliners that you cannot judge a gas by color.

Oxyzers may have a left hand thread (e.g Oxygen)

Torches can fall into:
    Hydrogen/Oxygen: I've used this for high purity glass blowing. Rare.

Propane/air
    Propane/oxygen
    Mapp gas/air
    Mapp gas/oxygen
    Aceteleline (sp)
    Acetelyne/Oxygen

Mapp gas is supposedly safer than Acetelyine.

You can't braze (silver solder) with propane.

With Mapp/air you have to change the tip diameter since the torch only works at full on. The tip melts if you turn it down.

With Mapp/Oxygen is a good compromise. Experienced users can do joints quicker than using propane.

But it's a lot more trouble.
    1. Turn on cylinders
    2. Check regulator pressures.
    3. Check for leaks.
    4. open gas valve on torch
    5. Light torch
    6 add oxygen
    7. adjust flame

SHutdown has to be done in reverse.
    1. Turn off oxygen.
    2. Turn off gas.

You also have better maneuverability with torches attached to hoses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mud and tape [ 5 Answers ]

Any one know what to charge per square ft. for mud and taping a basement if all materials are supplied. No ceiling work, just walls and bulkheads. Thanks

Tape worm [ 12 Answers ]

I am scared I have one- most likely no because the only raw meat I eat is Sushi. "Often no signs or symptoms Most people who are infected with tapeworm don't show symptoms. Signs and symptoms of intestinal infection Most likely, you won't have any signs or symptoms with an intestinal...

Tape on new paint [ 4 Answers ]

I am painting a room with 2 colors. How long do I need to wait for the first color to dry before I can put painters tape on it and avoid peeling?

How much pipe thread tape to use? [ 5 Answers ]

Yikes. I was installing the tub spout and the copper stub-out was way too long. I measure and measured again and cut it too short. It doesn't extend far enough Into the spout to seal. Can I use silicone or something? What others options To I have? The spout is the type you described in a...

View more questions Search