Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msfantastic Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2010, 04:18 AM
    Hosting foreign student
    I asked if the payment received for hosting a foreign student is a taxable income. I got a reply that it is a tax-free transaction since the payment is a reimbursement of costs. If the payment is more than the actual cost, is it still a non-taxable transaction?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
    Yes, it remains non-taxable, because you are probably not factoring in such items as wear-and-tear on your house, additional utility costs, etc.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

May 19, 2010, 06:45 AM

I don't think I agree with ATE. If it were a direct reimbursement I might agree. However, there is a charitable contribution deduction allowed for hosting foreign exchange students but it is limited and you cannot deduct the excess as business. Therefore, I would conclude that anything that is not a direct reimbursement for an out of pocket expense is income.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 19, 2010, 02:19 PM
    TTE:

You may have a point. It would have been nice if we knew HOW MUCH in excess of actual costs the reimbursement was, so we could address it as a practical matter versus theoretical concerns.

By this I mean the practical concern of a small overage. If the excess is less than $100, the IRS would not care one way or another due to the de minimus rule.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 11:55 PM
    That kind of hosting would DEFINITELY be taxable income. Not to report it as such is TAX FRAUD, pure and simple.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Actually, I would not! Someone who did something similar tried to get me to prepare their returns and NOT report the income.

I walked away!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign student in US [ 1 Answers ]

I am a vietnamese foreign student,I can not afford to pay the school for the high tuition;but I want to stay because I have a boy friend he promise to marry me(he has US citizen) can I stay in US if I ge married with him? May immigartion status are out since I did not attend the school lately.The...

How are stipends for hosting an international student taxed [ 2 Answers ]

I host international students who attend a Private High School in the United States. The host family pays the school for their boarding and the school issues a check to the families. We are required to room and board the student along with providing transportation and school meals. In the past...

F-1 foreign student, married. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering whether I am eligible for stimulus refund or not? I am married and have F-1 visa. Thanks.

Foreign student in usa? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... The past couple of days I've been researching a lot on how to get to USA t study... Only.. I have a huge problem. I'm 18... I only completed one year of technical high school here in Denmark before I.. dropped out.. Or, well.. I'm taking a break. But now I really regret it because I want...

Foreign student in USA? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... The past couple of days I've been researching a lot on how to get to USA t study... Only.. I have a huge problem. I'm 18... I only completed one year of technical high school here in Denmark before I.. dropped out.. Or, well.. I'm taking a break. But now I really regret it because I want...

View more questions Search