Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ukstang Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2010, 07:04 AM
    US Citizen living in Europe... Permanent residence spouse in US
    Okay this is a tricky one...
    After a separation the US citizen now lives and works legally in the EU, the permeant resident still lives and works legally in the US. How does one file taxes from now on?

Thanks in advance fro any help, great forum.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 30, 2010, 07:13 AM

If they are married, they either file Married Filing a Joint Return or Married Filing Separately.

Both citizens and residents file a 1040 and report worldwide income.

Apr 30, 2010, 07:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Texas Tax Expert View Post
    If they are married, they either file Married Filing a Joint Return or Married Filing Separately.

Both citizens and residents file a 1040 and report worldwide income.
    That was very fast, thank you very much.
    So it's as simple as that? Basically when both of us lived together in the US and EU we filed together, we were having some horror visions about it getting complicated. How official is the term "separated" in the eyes of the IRS?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 11:19 AM
    It depends whether your separation is just being physically separated, or being legally separated in lieu of or in preparatuon for a divorce.

If you are physically separated, you are STILL married, so you must file Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

If you are legally separated, and you have NOT lived with your spouse for the last six months of 2009, then you may be "considered unmarried" and can file as SINGLE.

Apr 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    It depends whether your separation is just being physically separated, or being legally separated in lieu of or in preparatuon for a divorce.

If you are physically separated, you are STILL married, so you must file Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.

If you are legally separated, and you have NOT lived with your spouse for the last six months of 2009, then you may be "considered unmarried" and can file as SINGLE.
    Thanks those were the answers I was looking for!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 3, 2010, 02:14 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

You.S. Citizen married to you.K. Citizen currently living in UK and wanting to move to US [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US citizen (24 years old) currently living in the UK with my husband (30 years old) who is a UK citizen. We were married in Nov. 2007 in California which is where I am from. I am currently living with him and working as I obtained a UK Spouse VISA. My VISA runs out in July and am...

Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear, Placement of Personal Living Residence into the Living Trust? Thanks & Regards

AAAA US Citizen filing papers for spouse with F1 Visa currently living in the USA. [ 1 Answers ]

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a US Citizen and my husband is currently enrolled in a university with F1 visa. I know I have to fill out the following forms: Forms filled out : I 130 ,I 485 , G 325, I 864, I 765, I 131 I also know that I need to...

View more questions Search