Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivekdu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 12:28 PM
    ITIN letter received after 15th April
    Received wife's ITIN letter yesterday. How do we notify NY State about the ITIN?
    We did not owe any amount as taxes and filed State tax with wife's SSN as 'A-P-P-L-I-E-D'. Any help is much appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
    I am surprised NY state accepted the tax return with "APPLIED FOR" in her SSN field.

If they did, contact the state via phone to find out how you should submit the ITIN.

However, when you make the call, do not be surprised to find out that the tax return was rejected.
    vivekdu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 08:22 AM

OK, I called NY state tax department and they informed me that they have assigned our return a special number and they will be sending us a letter asking for the copy of ITIN letter.

Also, they have already deposited the refund to my account.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 11:07 AM
    Interesting; first time I have heard NY state doing that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN timeline on notice letter received [ 3 Answers ]

I sent in a w-7 application, 3weeks later got a notice letter about not turning in any form of identification, because the certified copy of my passport I sent does not include an APOSTILLE, so I sent in the ORIGINAL PASSPORT 3 weeks ago still not get the ITIN, how long does it take to get ITIN...

ITIN LEtter Not Received [ 2 Answers ]

I have not yet received the physical copy of ITIN from IRS. I got the ITIN number from IRS on phone.. My Federal Tax returns were processed on Mar 13.. When shall I expect the ITIN as it more than 6 weeks now from time it was filed... Do we need to have a physical copy or only number is...

ITIN applied but how can I fill up state tax returns jointly before April 15, 2009 [ 1 Answers ]

I am on H1 visa and have recently applied ITIN of my spouse with my federal tax returns. I have to fill up my state taxes before April 15, 2009. How can we fill our state taxes jointly as state taxes form 509 requires ITIN for my spouse and it will take 4 to 6 weeks to get ITIN? Should we have to...

First Year Choice: April 15th? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to utilize the First Year Choice for myself and my spouse in the month of June 2008, when I will meet the SPT. By April 15th, I have to file 4868 for extension and "any" due taxes? My question is, how do I determine the "due" taxes before Apr 15th? Can I use form 1040 and online tools...

ITIN letter not yet received [ 9 Answers ]

I filed my taxes this year on feb 10 along with my wife's W7 application for ITIN along with other documents.after calls to IRS in march and April end,I was told at the end of may that my wife's ITIN has been mailed on 14 may.I applied for state tax refund with the ITIN given to us by IRS official...

View more questions Search