Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srosscal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2010, 07:10 AM
    My mother passed and left me 17000 and Iam being taxed can they do that
    Mother left my brother and sister and I about 17000. Can it be taxed?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 05:14 AM

No, there is no tax on inheritance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 05:19 AM

Who is "taxing" you on it ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 4, 2010, 08:26 AM

It depends - if the inheritance is in an IRA and/or 401(k), then yes, it is indeed taxed (as ordinary income to you as you make withdrawals).
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 4, 2010, 11:26 AM

Note e-baines comment for it is correct.
    If your Mom left you the proceeds of her retirement account or an annuity, or several other things all or a portion of it is taxable. This is called "Income in Respect to a Decedent" or IRD.
    See: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p559.pdf
    Start at page 9.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother passed away in California and left everything by will to my sister. [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away in California and left everything by will to my sister. I am the only joint tenant with my mother on her home and the deed will be transferred to me when I receive the death certificate. I am not on the mortgage. As I understand it, her estate is responsible for paying off the...

My grandparents has passed and my mother has passed what am I entitled [ 7 Answers ]

I live in New Orleans my grandparents died and my mother passed, what am I entitled to because there are houses and money due to my mother, but I do not know much about Louisiana law as far as inheritance. My aunts and uncles are just sitting on the property because they are fortunate enough, but...

After my mother passed away [ 3 Answers ]

As the years go by, the more I missed my mother. How can I recover my loneliness because she died a week before her departure to visit me?

My mother passed away. [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away in early September. The company my Aunt works for (my mom's sister) sent flowers to the funeral home. My Aunt received 3 days off work for "death in family". She called me asking why I hadn't sent her work a thank you note yet. I explained to her that they sent flowers on...

Parents passed away left no will. [ 1 Answers ]

My mother and stepfather passed away. My mom was the last to passed away last April/08When they passed away they did not leave a will. There is a property (house) in question. This house is in Puerto Rico and we are 9 children all together... 5 from both parents and 2 from mom and 2 from stepdad....

View more questions Search