Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdagirl13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 06:57 PM
    Owe taxes on money inherited from a reverse mortgage?
    My mother and I had a joint bank account. The money in that account came solely from a reverse mortgage she had on her house. At the time of her death, there was about $54,000 in the account, and that money went directly to me because of the joint account status. We did not file probate, and we are not selling the house. We are going to sign the deed over to the bank that holds the rev. mtg. Will I need to pay federal or state taxes on $54,000? I live in California.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 1, 2010, 10:13 AM

It seems to me that the $54K in the joint account were essentially gifts from her to you while she was alive. Assuming that the amount each year was under the gift tax filing threshold ($13K), then there is no tax issue here for you. But If the size of the gifts was greater than that, then she should have filed gift tax returns while she was alive, even though she most lilkely would not have owed any money on these gifts to you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 12:23 PM
    Even if gift tax returns are required, NO TAXES will be due because the gift tax return can access the Unified Credit.

My best recommensation of Kdagirl 13 would be to contact a local, competent tax professional to examine her situation and, if necessary, file the gift tax returns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on inherited money [ 3 Answers ]

I recently inherited some oil royalities when my mother passed away (just a little over $10,000) How do I list this on my tax form and do I pay taxes on the whole amount. This is a one time payment. Thanks for any info silvernel

Will I owe taxes on Inherited Property? [ 2 Answers ]

My two brother and myself inherited one half of my grandfathers farm when he passed away back in the late 1990's. The other half is owned by my aunt. We are trying to sell the property now that my grandfather's wife has passes away. We could not do anything until she passed. My questions are:...

Taxes on inherited money from sale of house in Australia [ 1 Answers ]

My wife will be inheriting a substantial amount of money from the sale of her mother's house who just died in Australia. After she receives her payout in Australian money, she will need to convert it into US dollars. Will she owe any tax on this influx of cash here int eh USA? She is selling it...

I owe taxes from 2006, I was self emplyed. How much do I owe now? [ 6 Answers ]

I did a little thing over 3 months of summer (I was 18) I was doing landscaping. I got a letter in the mail, saying I owed on the money I make. I have no idea how much I have to pay I am freaking out. I made 11735.50 in 2006, and In 2007 I worked off and on I made 23232.89. I was self...

Do I pay taxes on inherited money from abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I might inherit money from my father who was a pakistani citizen. I am a dutch citizen, but a legal resident in the usa. I am wondering if I have to pay taxes over the amount I receive.

View more questions Search