Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginna31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 07:38 PM
    If in disability as dependent should I file taxes
    My husband is in disability when we file with the status married do I have to add his disability money? Please help..
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 08:18 PM

Yes, if it is treated as taxable income.

Payments you received from a disability insurance policy that you paid the premiums for are not earned income. It does not matter whether you have reached minimum retirement age. If this policy is through your employer, the amount may be shown in box 12 of your Form W-2 with code "J." Then it will be reported as income.
    If you retired on disability, benefits you receive under your employer's disability retirement plan are considered earned income until you reach minimum retirement age. Minimum retirement age generally is the earliest age at which you could have received a pension or annuity if you were not disabled. You must report your taxable disability payments on line 7 of either Form 1040 or Form 1040A until you reach minimum retirement age.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I file taxes when receiving disability? [ 24 Answers ]

I am a single mother receiving social security disability. Do I need to file a tax return?

Can a dependent file their taxes? [ 10 Answers ]

I am a full time student whom just started working last May, so this is the first time Iv'e had to deel with taxes. My parents are claiming me on their taxes. I don't know if I can still file my taxes or not. Please help.

How do I file taxes if I am on disability? [ 6 Answers ]

How would I go about fileing for taxes if my wife works and I am on disability?

I have disability income and custody of 12 year old grandson. Can I file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have soc. sec. disability income as my only source of income. I have custody/guardianship of my 12-yr-old grandson. Is there any way for me to file taxes and get $ back? i.e.: child tax credit, earned income credit, etc.

Disability/Taxes If you're on disability do I file taxes [ 2 Answers ]

If you're on disability do I file taxes

View more questions Search