Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deep4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 03:15 PM
    F-1 Student (OPT Status) - Indian Tax Requirement
    Hi,

I am currently working in US on OPT period under the F-1 Visa Category. I am paying whatever taxes I am supposed to pay in US(except Social Security and medicare). I was not sure about whether I have to file my taxes back in India as well ? If I have to file the taxes in India then based on the double taxation treaty between India and US, I will get rebate on whatever tax I paid here, but essentially whatever I saved by not paying Social Security and Medicare here, I have to pay that in India. So, my question is - Am I supposed to file taxes back in India ?

- Deepak
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 8, 2009, 08:08 PM

For India taxes you may post at mytaxes - Index

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 1040NR Vs 1040 for indian Student on F1/OPT [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian Student. During 2008, I was on F1 status and worked from July 08 to Dec 08 on OPT. Is there any way I can choose to file 1040 (for resident aliens) instead of 1040NR (for non resident aliens). The reason I am asking this is because I want to claim the following: 1. Married...

Indian Student on F1 (over six years) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, VISA - F1 (India) (1) I have been in the US since 2001 July, but I am not sure about my filing status - (a) resident alien (b) non-resident alien. (2) Tuition gets added on to my gross income as an "earned income" and is taxable. Is there a way to claim a tax-credit on tuition?...

1099 taxes for Indian F1 student [ 7 Answers ]

Hi AtlantaTaxExpert Thank you in advance for your time. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge and helping everyone out. I am currently an undergraduate student, on an F-1 Visa. I am studying in MA and am a citizen of India. I arrived in the US on August 2003. Starting from my freshman...

View more questions Search