Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanpae Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Missing State Withholding Information
    Hi there,

I need to file my 2001 tax return for the State of Arizona. Yes, I know I'm a little late. How do I go about finding out my withholding for State Taxes for that year?

I asked for and received a payer transcript so I could file my Federal Taxes, but the transcript did not list out the State Withholding.

I searched around the Internet and haven't come up with anything useful for the State level.

Thanks in advance,
    Alan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 16, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Alan:

Ask Arizona if they will send you a copy of their tax script. That should have the state withholding amount.

If that is not feasible, file the return and make an estimate as to how much was withheld. You can probably make an educated guess if you use the withholding tables. If you are conservative, the state will make the necessary correction. If you have a refund coming (which you will NOT because of the 3-year statute of limitation on refund), it really does not mater.

Oct 16, 2006, 04:42 PM
    >Ask Arizona if they will send you a copy of their tax script. That should have the state
    >withholding amount.

I should have mentioned this. When I asked for their version of a payer transcript they couldn't help me with that one. They did give me my 2000 withholdings and based on pay I could come up with a reasonably sane ballpark figure, but what would they compare it to?
    They couldn't answer that question.

I claimed zero for 2001 so my federal refund, if I could get it, would have been nice. So I'll assume that I'm way over on my State Withholdings as well, which I guess I'll never see as well. So, should I bother at all then, even though my withholdings would be just a guess, or should I just forget about it.

Thanks,
    Alan
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 07:09 PM
    Alan:

File, even though you will not get a refund, because your failure to file may hold up future tax refunds. Use an estimate as to what you think was withheld and allow the state of Arizona and the IRS to adjust it based on their records.

Oct 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
    > because your failure to file may hold up future tax refunds.

Ahh, you said the magic words. :-)

Ok, I guess I'll have to use a form 4852 to sub for a real w-2. In the future, I guess I can always file an amended return if I should happen to come up with the real one.

Thanks for the advice,
    Alan
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 18, 2006, 03:44 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay not withholding taxes [ 2 Answers ]

My husband is starting a job that they are not going to pay any taxes. How do I know how much to save to pay taxes in January?

Withholding of social security and medicare tax [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax expert, Thank you for all your help! I understand that withholding scial security and medicare tax is employer's responsibility, but I remember my wife told me actually it was she who told her employer to do the exemption. Does this affect her tax report? Thanks

Federal Wage information is missing in my W2. How can I pay my Federal tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Last year, I was working as F1 in OPT. As F1, I can exempt from society security tax and medicare tax. But the accounting company also exempted my Federal tax and told me that was the way to do it. I thought I could report my Federal tax later, so I let it go. But right now, I get my...

Withholding Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Sir, I was hired on H1B from December 16, 2005. My Central office is in California but my work location is in Michigan. My employer withhold California State taxes from my December and January pay and didn't withhold Michigan State tax. Actually I didn't stay or work in California at all. ...

View more questions Search