Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breakingmyback Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 10:50 AM
    1099-misc
    Does an individual, not a trade or business, need to file a 1099-misc to another individual ? I can provide specifics if necessary.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2006, 01:26 PM
    If you paid them taxable income, yes.

Oct 8, 2006, 02:48 PM
    Pardon to my slow response, had to run an errand. The situation is as follows:

We will provide care for an elderly father in lieu of nursing home care at a substantial discount. Another daughter has power of attorney and wishes to issue a 1099-misc for funds dispursed from his personal accounts. Neither of us are a trade or a business and this is an inter-family matter.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 8, 2006, 05:32 PM
    What you are doing is providing a service for pay. If the amount exceeds $600 per year, then the daughter is correct in issuing the Form 1099-MISC. In fact, it is required by law.

The fact that it is an inter-family matter is irrelevant, especially in the eyes of the IRS.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Same answer. Sounds like the daughter wants to keep everything above board and since she's responsible for his finances, expects to be able to deduct the care as medical expenses. Therefore, she needs to issue 1099s to show how the funds were paid out.

Oct 8, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Thank you Scott and 'Lanta for your verification of what I already suspected.
    Actually, I am the in-law husband, an only child literally appalled at the dysfunction and back-biting involved with the aforementioned family of six
    Siblings: the tax issue was clouded by infighting and a perceived " I'll screw
    you" grudge match which has unfortunately put the old boy's care on the back
    Burner at some point. I only carried through with the question because I am currently an independent contractor drywall finisher, and everyone knows what a bunch of reckless scum we are! Of course, I , and other native construction CRAFTSMEN are in no way aided by the rash of unscrupulous employer-contractors who conspire with illegal aliens to literally steal the food
    (and tens of thousands of dollars ,in my case) from our babies mouths. Desperation can make fools of us all.
    In fact, I just turned an automobile repossessor from my door! Fortunately,
    He was a polite young man and we parted on an amicable note. Well, this sounds like fodder for another website unless anyone is interested in real
    Unbiased information on fraudulent I.D. and how easily illegals cheat the
    System.
    Perhaps more useful would be the old addage that friends-or family-and
    Business rarely mix. Thanks again, boys. You are very kind. Must sign off
    For now. Impressed with the site!

Cordially,

BreakingMyBack
    AKA Willie the Taper
    St. Paul, MN
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 9, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc on h1b? [ 4 Answers ]

I am working on an H1B, and received a 1099-MISC from a direct-sales company of which I am a registered distributor. The 1099 income is reported as "non-employee compensation". When I file this in Schedule C, can I claim for the expenses that I incurred? Are there any restrictions for H1B? ...

F-1 to cpt to opt- two w-2's & 1099 misc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi *Indian Citizen I am on F-1 and got CPT in Summer 2005 (May05-AUG05) and am on OPT since OCT05. I have a W-2 from school from Jan 05 to May 05, a 1099-MISC from May 05 - Aug 05(my internship/CPT) and another W-2 for the rest of 2005 from my employer(OPT). I am trying to figure out...

1099-MISC without SSN [ 8 Answers ]

I know this ? Has probably been answered here before but here it is again: My very small business paid an independent contractor over $600 in 2005. We have the person's address but either never got the SSN or have lost it. This person, when contacted, is refusing to give us the SSN. Can we file...

F1, w-2 and 1099-Misc [ 4 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I did go across lot of threads and it helped me. But I hope I can get answers to my queries. I was on F1- status throughout last year. However I was paid on 1099-misc and w-2 by two employers. My Questions 1) Do I need to attach 1099-misc or is the employer tax id enough? ...

F1, 1099-misc and w-2s [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new member. Its nice to see so many people here who can help. Here's my situation: My status in 2004: Student on F1 (I still am on F1 until my H1 is approved) Was attending school full-time until: August 19, 2004 Working on OPT since August 20, 2004. My nationality: Indian I...

View more questions Search