Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thepeterman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2009, 01:55 AM
    Can I make changes in a rejected return.
    My tax return was rejected by the IRS. I discovered the error and corrected it. I also discovered another error and corrected it which also changes the amount of taxes I owe. Am I allowed to make the second change which was not the reason for the rejection. Will I be penalized for being late since I made the additional correction.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 22, 2009, 02:06 AM

If your return is rejected, that means that it is not filed. So you can make any number of changes.
    If your return has been accepted, then you can not submit corrected return. Instead you must file amended return Form 1040X. If you owe tax on the amended return, you will pay with interest and penalty. If you do not owe tax, you will not be penalized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I just get rejected? [ 12 Answers ]

So I am seeing/dating this guy for about four months. We hung out for a couple times, had dinner, watched movies, etc. In the beginning, he would text me everyday and call me at least once every other day even though he said he was busy to see how things are going for me. He liked me to keep his...

ITIN Rejected and now want to file amended return. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B for past 3 years and got married last September 2007 and my wife is on H4. She did not have ITIN when I filed for return in April 2008 and had to file as Single and could not claim her as dependent (as advised by my Tax Consultant). I filed ITIN for my wife and yesterday I...

Federal Tax Return rejected [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I e-filed my federal taxes & it was rejected. (married filing jointly) Below is the reason given to me. My wife is on H4 & doesn't have a SSN, she has a ITIN.

View more questions Search