Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ncoam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2009, 01:46 PM
    Tax on sold inherited house
    How is the amount of tax on a sold inherited propertycalculated if the home sold for less than $100,000?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2009, 11:14 PM

You will report the sale on schedule D (Form 1040). Your cost basis is the fair market value of the house on the day of inheritance.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax on Inheritances

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on inherited property sold overseas [ 2 Answers ]

My parents (non-US citizens) lived overseas and have passed away. On the death of my mother, I inherited their apartment and have recently sold it and intend transferring the proceeds to the US. I am a US citizen, 72 years old, reside in the US and file joint tax returns with my wife. Question:...

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 1 Answers ]

I see many other questions on this topic, but none to my exact situation. I am curious how this works. My sister and I jointly inherited a property of our late aunt in CT which was valued (and filed estate-wise) at $650,000. As the property required much work before the sale, we invested over...

Inherited Property Being Sold- Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My father died and left property in trust for my mother, my brother and I. (40 years ago.) My mother dies in 1989, and the property transferred to my brother and I. The trust was dissolved in 1994. I have paid taxes on this property continuously. The property value has increased 10x. It...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 0 Answers ]

My siblings and I inherited our parents house after their death. It was in poor condition. We had it appraised for $132,000 and sold it for $125,000. Do we owe any federal income tax on it? All I have read so far indicates that we do not. But, how to we file, since the mortgage company that...

View more questions Search