Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vibh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 10:58 AM
    Wife OPT+H1b(wrongly FICA taxes withheald).Husband H1b
    My wife was on Opt from Feb-2008 to sept 2008 and since oct-08 she is on h1b... while I am on h1b since 2 yrs... by mistake my wife's employer has deducted social security and medicare taxes(she being international student is not liable to pay this taxes).. in order to claim I have found out we need to file form 843 and 8316 as the employer is not able to refund it..
    Now my question is like me being resident alien we would be filing married jointly 1040... I have come to known that if we file 1040 and then file 843 and 8316 IRS mit not refund the claimed taxes saying we files as resident alein.. and as resident alien we have to pay social security as well as Medicare taxes.. one of the tax experts have suggested that one of the way out in such situation is we take extension for filing taxes and meanwhile file 843 and 8316.. and when we get the refund we should file our annual return... kindly guide me into this matter..
    Also if I file 843 after extension.. on line 6 of 843 I need to mention what form I filed for 2008 return.. if I mention that we have not filed and have got extension.. will it work?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2009, 11:41 AM

If you file joint return as residents or if your wife filed resident return in 2007, she must pay FICA taxes.
    The suggestion by "one of the tax experts" is evading taxes; so do not do that.
    Read about F1/H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 19, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Mukata:

What the tax consultant suggested is NOT evading taxes, as the link below clearly shows she is NOT lable for FICA taxes even if she files jointly with her husband.

Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident

Hopefully, they followed the tax consultant's advice, because, once they filed jointly, that CANNOT be undone and it will be used as a reason to reject the Form 843 submission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B & Wife switching to F1, FICA taxes [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B, wife was on H4 (since Dec 2006). In 2007 we filed jointly with she electing to be treated as a resident. For 2007 and 2008 too we filed jointly. She recently (Feb 10, 2009) switched to an F1 and will be getting on campus employment. Also she is getting done with her studies...

Disabled husband-wife working-taxes and child support [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has filed for disability-i am only one working-he was never behind on his payments till he became ill -i pay all the bills-why is it that I only get half of my return on my taxes-we need all the money we can get for all our medical bills and to survive- have filed a disabled spouse- but...

State taxes for husband and wife living in different states [ 5 Answers ]

Husband works and rent primary residence in MA. Wife works in NY and lives in their house in NY. Husband makes 3 time as much as wife per year. They have 2 dependent-kids. They file joint federal return. How should they file state returns? How do they split deductible for dependents?

Medicare\SS taxes - husband on H1 wife on F1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can someone please help me with my scenario? I am on h1 for the full year 2008. My wife was on H4 until July 2008 and then she entered US on F1 in Aug 2008. Hence she passes the substantial presence test for being considered as Resident alien. I would like to file a joint return for 2008...

Husband gives half ownership to his wife. Taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

The husband owns a house. The wife pays half of the mortgage but she is not on the title of the house. The house was bought before the marriage. If the husband puts his wife on the title of the house, is she a half owner of the house? Since they are married is there a gift tax or any...

View more questions Search