Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    77seas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 11:40 AM
    FBAR on F-1 visa
    Is a student on F-1 visa liable to declare foreign financial accounts detail (FBAR) to IRS?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 12:35 PM

No. Mandatory Reporting of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 06:54 PM

I agree. Only "U.S. persons" must file. This includes U.S. citizens and U.S. residents. As long as you have not been in the U.S. for more than 5 years under your F-1 visa, you are not required to file.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 18, 2009, 01:54 PM
    77seas:

However, you DO have to file Form 8843 by itself (the second page needs to be signed) if you are not filing a tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed. [ 1 Answers ]

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed

Cancellation of family visa to stamp work visa for KSA for my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ALL, I want to know the procedure to cancel my wife's visa who is dependent on my visa in KSA. I am presently working in KSA and my wife is in India and has received a job offer from KSA. My wife has re entry visa stamped which is valid until August this year. Kindly advice. Thanks, ...

Form FBAR requirement [ 1 Answers ]

Form FBAR says that if one holds more than $10000 in a foreign bank account at any time during the year, one has to file the form. If I am sending $12000 to "my" foreign bank account and then give the money to my mom right away, do I have to file Form FBAR? I was advised before that I don't have...

Change from B2 visa to F1 visa then to J1 or H1 visa for residency [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guide me I m n US on B1/ B2 visa for USMLE xm.instaed of going back to india & coming again for hospital interview( more costly )... should I change visa status B2 to F1 ? Afterwords for MD medicine I hv to take J1 or H1 visa.. so how this B2 to F1 change will affect J1 or H1...

View more questions Search