Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drvin_13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2009, 10:28 AM
    2009 Economic Stimulus Rebate - Married NRA and filing jointly
    Hi,

I am a resident alien and my spouse is a non-resident alien. We were married in 2007. My spouse has been in the US for 4 years on an F1 visa (hence she is a non-resident alien) and she has her own SSN. If we file as married filing jointly using form 1040 for the federal income tax return, will we qualify for the economic stimulus rebate check? Thank you for helping out.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2009, 12:45 PM

Yes, you can file joint return as residents and will get recovery rebate.
    Your spouse must start paying FICA taxes on her income. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 15, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Actually, payment of FICA taxes will not start for your wife until after her FIFTH year on F-1 status, or when she converts to an H-1 or H-1B visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing jointly and stimulus package [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 and so she does NOT have SSN , but just TIN number that I use to file taxes.. If I file jointly with her , am I eligible for the stimulus package from the gov.. for the last stimulus that Bush has approved , I did not get since I was told that until my...

Economic Stimulus Rebate [ 3 Answers ]

I filed an MFJ Tax Return for the TY 2007 using my spouse ITIN. Now she received SSN. Am I eligible to receive the stimulus rebate by filing an amended return with IRS? Please let me know. Thanks!!

Stimulus Payments for Married filing Jointly (one with SSN and other with ITIN) [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks all for you help regarding to Federal and State taxes. I have an SSN, but my spouse has a ITIN. Can we both get a payment Stimulated Tax Payment? If not then am I eligible to get Stimulus Payments. We already filed a taxes as married filing jointly. Regards.

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

View more questions Search