Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bjih_86 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 06:01 AM
    What are the benefits, if any, of filing as a dual-status alien?
    What are the benefits, if any, of filing as a dual-status alien?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 8, 2009, 01:45 PM
    You may get to claim wife and children as dependents. Otherwise, there are normally NO benefits.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

May 8, 2009, 05:38 PM

The benefit is that you don't have to include your foreign income for the period during which you did not live in the US.

If you had a significant amount of foreign income that was not taxed or taxed at a low rate, it might be good to avoid US tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I a resident alien or dual status alien? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Friends, I would like to know what category I would fall under for tax purposes. I was on F1 OPT until Jan 10th 2008 H1B from Jan 11- October 30 I left the country after that and I am presently in India.

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

Tax filing for spouse of dual-status alien? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert I was on a F1 visa until June 2006, then switched to the E3 visa for Australians from July. I have filed my taxes as a dual-status alien and completed Form 1040 with 1040NR as a supporting statement for my non-resident status at the start of the year. I am wondering what...

Dual Status Alien Filing jointly? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and me both moved to America in April 2006 and live here since then. We worked in Germany until then, now he works here. We are Dual status, can we file jointly? When yes, wich forms do we have to use. We have rental income in Germany, what about taxes for that?

View more questions Search