Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fivestarcom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Non-Resident State tax withholdings
    Hello,

I am currently a resident of Georgia and I have a new permanent job starting next week in Alabama. I will be renting an apartment there at least for the remainder of the year. My wife will still be in our house in Georgia. I receive income in Georgia as well so I know I will still need to file in GA for 2009, but what are the tax implications of my situation in regard to Alabama. Will my new employer need to withhold state income taxes for AL and GA? If withholding for only one, which state should I have withheld?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 11:23 PM

If you are present in a state, then any income earned during this period, must be reported to the state.

To your resident state, you must report your worldwide income for the year.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident / Non Resident criteria for NY State [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, Thanks for all your help. Can you please suggest what is Resident / Non Resident criteria for NY State Tax File for year 2008. Thanks.

Non-resident state tax withholdings? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in TN but work in GA, do I owe GA state Taxes?

L1 VISA Resident of Canada - SS & Medicare Withholdings? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a citizen and current (since Jan 2007) resident of Canada. I have been transferred here by my Danish based company and current employment via L1 visa is out of our subsidiary in Atlanta GA. Must I have US social security and medicare deducted from my Paychecks which are...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search