Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anidoke26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Regarding Income taxes (Federal and dual state)
    Hi AMHD,
    Thank you for this great service !

I need help for filing taxes... Here is my situation...

A) I entered USA as a J-1 research scholar (post-doctoral fellow) in NC, USA on June 22, 2006. For last two years, I filed the 1040NR-EZ and 8843 and D400 for NC.
    Since this year, my NC employer started withholding my SS tax and Medicare taxes since I became "resident alien for tax purposes "

B) I was on J-1 status till my new job in Ohio (started on October 17th 2008) at the new employer gave me H-1B status (After getting J-1 waiver from India).
    (The USCIS approval notice came on Sept 15th but I have to give 1 month resignation notice at my J-1 employer so joined in Oct.08)

I moved out of NC on Oct 15, 08 and now reside in Cleveland, OH.

My questions are :

1) I received two W-2 forms ( one from NC employer and one from my current Ohio employer). For my situation, which Federal tax form I have to file : 1040-NR or 1040NR-EZ or 1040 ?

2) As I understand, I'll file NC state taxes this year as resident state and Ohio state taxes as part time resident. Am I correct ?

I do not feel confident about H&R block or similar services since they might not fully understand the situation.

Please help !
    Thx,
    Anidoke26
    anidoke26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Hi AMHD,
    One more addendum to my question above!

I earned interest on my savings while in NC and in OH from a federal credit union. (~$400)
    I received the statement of interest from the union office.
    For my time on J-1, I guess that income was tax exempt. I am not sure about H-1B and tax on interest earned.

Considering my total situation, do I have to show that intertest as taxable income ?

Thx,
    Anidoke26
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 11:50 PM

On H1-B you must pay SS tax, Medicare Tax and income taxes.
    On J1, you are exempt from residency for two years. You may also be exempt from federal income if your country has a tax treaty.
    Also the two years means 2006 and 2007 or two years from first date in the U.S. -- it will also depend upon tax treaty.

For tax return, I don't think, H&R Block can handle your situation. Contact AtlantaTaxExpert at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal and state taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Please, I am 62 years old, single and my gross salary is 1,077.00 weekly, how to calculate my taxes federal and state? What percentage? Thanks waldecy gil

Federal Income Tax and AS state tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, My husband has a non taxable income from the VA. My income bracket is about $23K/yr and we used not pay taxes (claimed exempt) yrs ago because my yrly income was used to be 10K/yr. Since I got employed recently this November 2008, I do not know if we can still declare exempt for...

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

Inheritance and Federal Income Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that Estates can be passed tax free to the heirs if their value is less than $2,000,000, and that if you inherit stocks and sell them you'd have to pay Capital Gains on the difference between the stepped-up value and the actual sale value, but do you also have to report the sale...

View more questions Search