Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChicagoHope35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 01:17 PM
    Need help filling the W4
    Hi,

Hello to all the members here. I am a new member here and would like some information on how to fill the W4. I have recently joined a new employer and am wondering how to go about it.

I will be filing as a single individual. I wanted to know if I can claim my retired parent's in India as dependants. Also, what possibilities exist to reduce my tax burden on the final W2. I have a delinquent debt to pay off. Can this help to reduce my tax burden? I am actively trying a debt consolidation solution for that.

Another question is, can I file under the category head of household? Does that help in any way?

Finally, I have been offered 15K as a sign on bonus. Can I tell my company to pay me the full bonus amount before taxes so that I could pay the taxes later? This is just because I don't want to lose the $5000 in taxes at this stage.

Any answers from the experts would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 25, 2006, 03:19 PM
    For the bonus, BY LAW the company must withhold 30% for income taxes, plus the standard 7.65% for Social Security and Medicare taxes, if applicable.

If your parents are in India, you cannot claim them, nor can you use them to file as Head of Household. They must be living with you to claim HoH; they must be living in the U.S. to be claimed as dependents.

Claiming single status with 3 exemptions will get you the highest paycheck while withholding enough to cover most of your tax liability. You may have to pay a small amount when you file your tax return, but that is better than giving the government an interest-free loan, which is what a tax refund really is.
    ChicagoHope35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 03:28 PM
    I really appreciate your response ATE. Thank you very much. :) This surely will go a long way in helping me file taxes appropriately.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 26, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer just keeps on filling [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. My 5-year-old Kenmore washing machine suddenly stopped sensing when it has reached the proper fill level. Instead of beginning its wash cycle, it just keeps on filling and overflows until I shut it off. When I discovered it, I shut it off and moved the dial to spin, which allowed it to drain....

Toilet filling with hot water [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, our toilet has been occasionally filling with hot water instead of cold. This primarily happens when the toilet hasn’t been flushed in a few hours (such as first thing in the morning). As we continue to flush, the water goes from hot to warm to cold, and the flushes stay cold until the...

Tank not filling [ 7 Answers ]

Got a weird one. I have a toilet with (I think) a FluidMaster type float. Its got to be more than 10 years old. Anyway, yesterday it stopped filling the tank. If I twist the bottom slightly then the tank will fill, but after flushing it doesn't fill again. So its getting water through the...

I am filling F1 and my wife H1 [ 3 Answers ]

I am filling as F1 as I am still a student. My wife was a student till May 2005 but after which she got a job. So, she is currently on H1. 1. what is a procedure to fill taxes for H1? 2. can we fill the taxes together so that we pay less to Uncle SAM?

Filling taxes in CA... [ 2 Answers ]

I have no time to search for an answer, so I will just post my question. My question is. Can someone who had a job for 4-5 months file taxes in CA? That may be too simple, but I need to know. Thanks :confused:

View more questions Search