Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pakya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Working on H1B,Want to know what will be my staus for filling tax.
    Hi
    I came to US on 24Aug08 on H1B Visa with family (Spouse and daughter).
    I need to file income tax for the year 2008, but not sure under which category I need to file the tax, So please guide me.
    My spouse and daughter don't have ITIN.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2009, 04:53 PM

According to the information you've provided, you are a non-resident for 2008.

If you become a resident in 2009, there are some elections open to you in terms of being resident for all or part of 2008. This would however mean including any foreign income for US tax purposes and claiming a foreign tax credit for foreign taxes paid.
    pakya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Thanks for your reply.
    Can I (Non-resident align) file tax as a married filling jointly
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2009, 07:14 AM

Choice 1: You can file non-resident tax return. Your status is Married Alien.

Choice 2: You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly. You will have to wait for 4 months in 2009 to file your tax return till you meet the Substantial Presence Test (of 183 days) in 2009.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2008. If you have any foreign income, and paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit.

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and children and attach with your tax return.
    Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Feb 22, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pakya View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    can I (Non-resident align) file tax as a married filling jointly
    You can't file as a NR and file MFJ.

The only way that you would file MFJ is if you make some additional elections which would necessitate you including income earned in the foreign country (in the year that you came to the US) and claiming a foreign tax credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1- H1 (dual staus/1040 NR) ? [ 24 Answers ]

I have read threads on this forum and if somebody can help me, I just want to be clear on this. I was on F1 from Aug 2001 to Octo 2004 (OPT Dec - 2003 to October 2004), I worked on OPT from Jan 2004 up to October 2004 and change my status to H1 from October 1st. Now, since my H1 status for 2004 was...

What is my staus for filing taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US for 330 days in 2006 and 300 days in 2007 as an F1 student. I was in US for the whole year in 2008. But from January 2008 to September 2008 I was on OPT and from October 2008 my Status changed to H1-B. So do I have to file the taxes as an Resident Alien OR Non-Resident Alien?...

Visa staus change from h4 to f1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently on H4 visa.I would like to change my visa status to F1 and study masters here in U.S.Do I have to go back to my country India for change of visa status or is it possible to change my visa status with out again going to india.

Can my wife leave and re-enter the US while under I-751 staus? [ 2 Answers ]

While living in the UK my wife received an Alien Residence Permit. We began shopping for a home in the USA and eventually purchased one. However, because she entered before we were married two years we were required to file I-751 and that filing date is 9 months away. On our last entry into US,...

L2 Working filling tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L2 in US from Sep 2005. I started working in 2006 Jan and have worked for around 4 months with three employers for the whole year. I need adivce on how to file the tax to get maximum benefit 1) Should me and my husband file tax as Married and filling separately (or) Married and...

View more questions Search