Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rubie31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Can I file taxes with no income?
    I'm a stay at home mom with 2 children. Can I file a tax return? I had no income at all. My children's father claimed both of them.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 17, 2009, 01:38 PM

If there are credits that you can claim or if you had tax withheld, you can file a tax return.

Heck, you could probably file it even if you didn't.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Nothing prevents you from filing.

However, you probably will get nothing back, and, by filing separate from your husband, you increase HIS taxes.

Best course of action: file jointly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have to file taxes with no income? [ 2 Answers ]

Do you or can you file taxes for the 2008 year if you were not employed at all? I understand the last stimulus check was determined by tax filing status (if you did or did not). So I am not sure if another round of checks were to be distributed if I would get one without filing again.

HOW to file taxes with no income [ 4 Answers ]

I had no income this year I only went to college,I have one child can taxes be filed

How to file taxes without an income? [ 1 Answers ]

I receive 115 from Disability Financial Assistance from Job and Family services. I also attend college full time how do I file taxes to get the hope and lifetime tax credit and the telephone tax credit. The 115 a month from Job and Family Services is not taxable income. Any idea of how I would...

How to file taxes with no income [ 6 Answers ]

Hi... hope someone can help me, I am a full time student.. I live off school grants and veteran disability benefit money. This is the first time I have not received any income for a whole year. And I don't know how to file my taxes without a w2. But I do know that it is nessesary to file my taxes...

How to File Income Taxes When Converting from F-1 to H-1 Visa Status (AtlantaTaxExp) [ 63 Answers ]

To All Who Have Read My Postings On This Issue: After further consultation with NATP, I am making some additional editing changes, which will be in bold red. I have also been referred to a website maintained by a CPA with extensive credentials and experience doing returns for resident and...

View more questions Search