Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanujp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 06:28 AM
    F-1 Student State taxes
    Hi,

Are F-1 students considered non-residents for state tax purposes as well? I know we will either fill 1040NR or NR-EZ for federal.

I came to US(from India) in Aug 2007 in NC on f-1 visa.

Completed my internship in NJ(June-Aug 2008). I graduated in Sept and started working on OPT in NJ from 1st Oct 2008. I was reading one of the posts which meant that students on F-1 are considered non-residents regardless where they maintained the residence. Is that true that I should file as non-resident for the both the states(NC and NJ)?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 02:55 AM

For states, it is not like federal return.
    If you did not have any NC income, you do not file NC tax return.
    You will live NJ tax return as part year resident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia State Taxes Form for F1 Student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been a student at Georgia Tech for over a year, and I have been working as a GRA under an F1 (international student) visa. My question is: Can I use the Georgia tax form 500EZ instead of the form 500 to fill my taxes? Which, for my case, is equivalent to asking whether I was considered...

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

International student -- which state do I pay taxes to? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an international student in Illinois. I've earned income in both Illinois and Tennessee, where I did a summer internship last year. Do I have to pay taxes on the income I earned in Tennessee to Illinois?

State return PA and/or IN Student taxes [ 2 Answers ]

HI, I am a resident of PA attending school full time in IN. I worked the summer in PA and during the school year in IN. I have two w-2's, PA and IN. I know there is some kind of agreement between the states but I don't know exactly what it is. I have filed my federal return, but I need help...

State taxes for an F1 OPT student(PA and CA) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 visa status (OPT) for the year 2006. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my real confusion is with the state tax form and what form should I fill .I worked in to different states in 2006 . 1)I worked in Calif for the months from June to Nov 2)I moved to PA...

View more questions Search