Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lepicure22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 07:38 AM
    401k penalty (after or before tax)
    Hello:

When calculating 401k early withdrawal penalty tax (10%), is it after or before the first 20% federal income tax?

In other words, if the lump sum is 100k, tax is 20k. Is penalty 10% of 100k (10k), or 10% of 80k (8k)?

Thanks,

D
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2009, 07:43 AM

The 10% penalty is on the total amount of the withdrawal. The 20% is just withholding against tax liability, just like the withholding from your paycheck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k tax and penalty [ 2 Answers ]

An associate of mine has a 401k and wants to invest some of it in an annuity, Will it be taxed or penalized if it goes straight in there ? Thank you for any help

401K penalty [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know when you take out your 401K money, do you have to pay the penalty right away or can you pay it at a later date. When I say right away, meaning during tax time. Please advise Thank you, Lisa

Tax Penalty on 401K [ 5 Answers ]

I am just divorced and am receiving 401K in a large sum. If I stay below $125,000 gross income will I stay at 25% tax penalty.

401K Penalty 10% [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I lost my job of 30 years this year due to disability. I have been awarded Social Security Disability. Approved in Feb 06, first payment was August 06. I had 2 withdrawals from my 401K. The first had a 10% penalty, the 2nd did not because of the disability. My question is: Is the...

401k tax & penalty [ 1 Answers ]

The company I worked for closed April,2005 and we were given our entire 401k balance. I have no plans to roll this over. I have placed 30% into a savings acount because I know I must pay 20% tax and 10% penalty. My question is: Is the tax and penalty due now or can they both be done at tax...

View more questions Search