Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carlasviercovic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 01:32 PM
    How do I file taxes for a J1 visa? Do I get money back?
    I have a J1 visa, I am a non resident allien working for denver public schools. I started this las September and would like to know what I have to do with my W2 tax form and if I will get any money back... thanks
    Carla
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 04:04 AM

On J1 you are exempt from residency for 2-years. You must file non-resident tax return and Form 8843. Your income is not subject to FICA taxes but you must pay federal and state income taxes. J1 researchers and professors are also exempt from federal income tax.
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Carla:

You MAY be exempt from federal income taxes. It depends on which country you are from.

Please identify your home country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much money will my boyfriend get back on his 2009 taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend is filing head of household and claiming me and my daughter.. He made roughly 45,000 last year? Around how much can we expect to get back?

How to file taxes if under visa transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I transferred my h1b visa, I want to inquire on the ff: 1. Requirements from my previous employer for filling the taxes 2. Requirements from my present employer for filling the taxes 3. When would be the filling of the taxes Regards, cap_ece

F-1 Visa - working - ITIN - Should file taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine from South Korea just started working full-time in the U.S. The employer told him that he will get a 1099 at the end of the year. He is on F-1 visa - without a social security number. He is not authorized to work in the U.S. My understanding is that you cannot issue a 1099 to...

Helping to file taxes for OPT visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am assisting my girlfriend with filing her first tax return, and she is currently in this country on a OPT (f1) visa. Her income is greater than the $3300 deduction limit, however we have both heard that OPT visa-holders are exempt from Soc. Sec. taxes and Medicare taxes. Are both of these true?...

How to File Income Taxes When Converting from F-1 to H-1 Visa Status (AtlantaTaxExp) [ 63 Answers ]

To All Who Have Read My Postings On This Issue: After further consultation with NATP, I am making some additional editing changes, which will be in bold red. I have also been referred to a website maintained by a CPA with extensive credentials and experience doing returns for resident and...

View more questions Search