Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherry87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2009, 11:06 PM
    How much money will my boyfriend get back on his 2009 taxes?
    My boyfriend is filing head of household and claiming me and my daughter.. He made roughly 45,000 last year? Around how much can we expect to get back?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 01:03 AM

Your b/f can claim you dependent (as Qualifying Relative) only if
    1. You lived with him/her all the year,
    2. you did not earn more than $3,500 in 2008, and
    3. your relationship does not violate local law. Read : Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2009, 10:29 AM
    Further, your daughter must have lived in his house the entire year to be considered a "qualifying person" for dependency and HoH purposes.
    cherry87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Your b/f can claim you dependent (as Qualifying Relative) only if
    1. You lived with him/her all the year,
    2. you did not earn more than $3,500 in 2008, and
    3. your relationship does not violate local law. Read : Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent
    Yes, I have lived with him the entire year and was umemployeed, Our daughter has lived with us the entire year as well
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 09:14 AM
    Okay, because she is a qualifying person, not a qualifying child, your boyfriend CAN claim you and her as dependents, but he CANNOT qualify for the $1,000 Child Tax Credit.

Under those conditions, his tax liability on $45K in income is $4,599. I cannot say what his refund will be because I do not know how much was withheld. He made too much money to qualify for the Earned Income Credit (EIC).

However, YOU may have unemployment compensation that is taxable income. If it exceeds $3,500, then your boyfriend CANNOT claim you. Unemployment compensation does NOT qualify you for the EIC, so allow him to claim your daughter in any event.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing H1 April 2009, finishing course work in May 2009 [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, I am finishing my course work in May 2009. I am filing my H1 in April 2009. Can I file my H1 based on masters? What letter and what letter should stat to support my application? Please answer me as soon as possible. I will be thankful to you.

Just got back with boyfriend of two years and he's back to doing the same thing that. [ 17 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I of two yeas just got back together on new years eve... we broke up for exactly two months... now its been just two weeks and he's back to doing the same thing that caused the breakup in the first place... he doesn't call/answer/and barely texts me... he uses the excuse that...

Boyfriend wants money, is this legal? [ 29 Answers ]

My former boyfreind says he wants to take me to court. When we were dating he bought me a lot of expensive things and now he wants them back or the money he paid for. Can he do this if they were gifts? :confused:

Old boyfriend and money [ 2 Answers ]

A former boyfirend gave me money when I needed it and did not want me to worry about paying it back. No written contracts. What he really wanted was to control and own me. So I escaped from his creepy clutches but not without emotional scars and fear from his stories of how he can get back at...

View more questions Search