Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amit2212 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2009, 04:00 AM
    ITIN for wife got rejected, should I apply again
    Hi,

I was in US from Sept 07 - Feb 08 alongwith my wife and son. I was on a L1 visa.

I had applied for my wife's and son's ITIN while filing returns for 2007. I received the ITIN for my son but my wife's ITIN got rejected.

The reason given was "no valid tax return was accompanying th ITIN application".
    Although I got the tax return amount as prepared by the H&R Block guys, not sure if the ITIN rejection for my wife had any impact on the tax return amount.

I am back in India since Feb 08. Now I need to file tax return for 2008, should I again try applying for ITIN for my wife from India or just submit a return with only my son as dependent?

I am asking because I worked for only 2 months in 2008, so is it worth the effort to apply for ITIN again from India.

Also what if I don't apply again, are there any penalties for that?

Thanks in advance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 05:13 AM

It is surprising why ITIN of your son was also not rejected.

For 2007, you were to file non-resident tax return. On non-resident tax return you can not claim your son. Which return did you file?

Jan 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
    I filed a non-resident return and also got my tax refund as calculated.

My question is what should I do for this year? Should only show my son as dependent?

Also, if my wife's ITIN was rejected then how come I got all the tax return amount calculated considering her as a dependent as well?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 10:53 AM
    I agree with MukatA.

As an Indian citizen filing a non-resident tax return undet a L-1 visa, you are NOT entitled to claim either your wife or your son as a dependent, because you did NOT meet the Substantial Presence Test for either 2007 or 2008.

For 2008, file Form 1040NR-EZ, file as a MARRIED person and claim only your own personal exemption. You STILL are not entitled to either your wife's or son's dependent exemption.
    Tax Expert

Jan 15, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amit2212 View Post
    I filed a non-resident return and also got my tax refund as calculated.
    My question is what should i do for this year? Should only show my son as dependent?
    Also, if my wife's ITIN was rejected then how come i got all the tax return amount calculated considering her as a dependent as well?
    Check your 2007 tax return again to make sure that you filed the correct return. On Form 1040NR, there is no space to claim exemption for spouse of a non-resident. Also you can not claim a dependent. For 2008, file a non-resident tax return and forget about claiming your spouse or child.

About 2007 tax return, IRS computers accept most of the returns as filed. It does not mean that your can not be audited or IRS will come come up with additional demand.

Jan 20, 2009, 12:17 AM
    I filed my return for 2007 on 1040-EZ. I got it done from H&R Block people.

If what you say is correct, then how come the H&R Block people got it wrong?

If at all my 2007 tax return is incorrect, what kind of penalty will I be facing?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
    H&R Block got it wrong because most H&R Block people have NO EXPERIENCE filing tax returns for foreign nationals.

The penalties for filing an incorrect tax return vary, but can be substantial. If you come forward and amend the return voluntarily, the IRS normally will only hold you responsible for any additional income tax plus interest, but will waive any penalties.

If they discover the error and come looking for you, however, then the penalties and interest could easily DOUBLE the tax due.

For these reasons, I recommend you amend the return and correct the error.

Jan 20, 2009, 10:09 PM
    Thanks for all the help. So what all forms should I file for the amended tax return?
    1040NR-EZ?

I am currently in India, can you tell me f there is any way I could file the amended tax return, for last year from here itself?

Thanks again.
    Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 11:18 PM

You will file Form 1040X (amended return).

On tax due the interest is 6% per year. The penalty is 0.5% per month, which may be waived if attach a statement and request.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
    The Form 1040X is filed with a properly-prepared Form 1040NR-EZ attached.
    msurya03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 12:11 PM
    Hi,
    I'm confused with something here.. Im filing my tax returns thorugh some agent and also asked him to apply ITIN for my wife as she is not eligible for SSN. My agent is saying he cannot file returns jointly without ITIN for my wife... can both be done together? Please help me. Im running out of time to file returns

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN rejected for dependent [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am staying in the US on J-1 visa since 2005 onwards, so I assume am a resident alien for the tax purposes. Last year, 2007 my son joined with me and he was dependent for at least 9 months. He came to the US on J-2 visa status. So, I had applied for ITIN for my son and along with 2007...

ITIN Rejected and now want to file amended return. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B for past 3 years and got married last September 2007 and my wife is on H4. She did not have ITIN when I filed for return in April 2008 and had to file as Single and could not claim her as dependent (as advised by my Tax Consultant). I filed ITIN for my wife and yesterday I...

The itin number got rejected! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am srinivasan and I'm in h1 status, I had applied itin no for my wife and son. But I had sent the tax returns to another address and w7 form to the other. So their itin got rejected and I didn't get my refunds. I am reapplying for my itin and so I wanted to know if I cana refile my taxes...

Not filed return, need to apply ITIN for wife [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on short term with my wife in Mar 2007 and went back in June 2007. I was on H1 and my wife on H4 visa. I need to apply the tax return for myself . For applying as married filing jointly , I need to have ITIN for my wife. Please let me know how to proceed on this. I checked...

Apply for ITIN for my wife from India [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Ganesh B. I hold valid H1 visa and my wife holds valid H4 visa. We both travelled USA on Feb 18 2006 and returned back to India on Jan 6 2007. Now we both are in India. Now I need tio file my US Tax Returns. Can I apply for ITIN for my wife now ? Please advice.

View more questions Search