Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daddy1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Does my wife have to sign my tax forms if I claim the children
    I have provided for my children financially for 96% of the tax year. We recently split up and she moved out of the State. If I claim my two children as dependants and decide not to claim my wife as a dependent will she still have to sign the tax forms even though she is not being claimed? My second question would be is there a way to claim my children and my wife as dependents and file when my wife is not available to sign? She did not conribute financially at all for the tax year 2008
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 11:08 AM
    If you file Married Filing Separately, only you have to sign the return.

If you know your wife is not filing a tax return, you can also claim her personal exemption on your return, with NO requirement for hewr signature.

The only time her signature is required is if you file jointly with her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forms to sign over rights [ 6 Answers ]

My daughters father wants to sign over his rights. What forms do I need?

Wife won't sign lease in Florida [ 3 Answers ]

I am in Florida and found an apartment, I signed the lease but upon seeing the property my wife found a number of issues that are not easily resolved and refuses to sign the lease. Already gave them a security deposit and first months rent. Lease is in both our names, which is what the manager...

Ordered to sign blank medical release forms [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Air National Guard Member who was injured while deployed. I had surgery performed by a civilian surgeon. My commander recently gave me a letter ordering me to sign blank medical releases of information for Line of Duty Detemination immediately. However, the Line of Duty has already been...

How do I get the father of my children to sign over rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 23 and have 2 children by the same man. We have had an on/off relationship for the past 4 years. Recently We broke up for the last time when he hurt me physically for the first time. I would really like to get our lives on track and have a better life. I would perfer for him to not be in it. ...

How to claim my thai wife [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am a natural born citazin and my wife is thai. She doesn't have a SSN # yet.She has been here in the states with me for 8 months. My question is how do I claim her on my tax return to get the best deduction? Thank you Gre4gg Blevins US navy

View more questions Search